Brachypelma Boehmei. My first sling!

Steve1698

Arachnopeon
Today I found someone local selling a Brachypelma Boehmei sling and went and picked it up. This is my first time ever raising one from this small (less than an inch in size). I am excited to watch him/her grow. Any tips for care of a spider this young would be appreciated! The seller has been feeding her fruit files. Seems happy! I had two Grammostola Rosea's but the older one passed away yesterday, I got her 10 years ago and have no idea how old she was when I got her. I thought it would be fun to get a sling and be able to watch it grow up!

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
Tip 1---re house it into something MUCH smaller....like a 4oz deli cup...dampen half.

Tip 2---get it on a real diet...fruit flies offer almost no nutritional value...being fed on fruit flies isnt healthy.

Tip 3--be patient, dont over think things and keep it simple...way too often people completely over think the simple task of raising a sling.

Steve1698

Arachnopeon
Oh, yeah, Housing seemed small to me when I first saw it, but then when I saw the size of the actual sling I realized it's actually pretty big in comparison. I'll take that advise and gladly save this enclosure for when it's a bit bigger! I planned to get some like week old crickets to start feeding instead of dealing with the fruit files. I saw someone that would just squeeze their heads and drop them in, the idea being that they'd be dead, but still twitching so the T would still go for them, but so they can't hurt the T. I also don't really care for the peat moss he put in there, it should be fine with just coco husk substrate right? I mean, that's all I use for my older T's so. I got plenty of that stuff. Thanks for the Reply!

cold blood

Staff member
I wouldn't use any of that moss...a clear floor is advantageous for you and the sling.

Sub is your choice, its more personal preference than anything.

It will take pre killed crickets...no need to look for tiny ones, smalls are fine, and if not, just cut one in half...diced mealworms are a great option as well and are my preferred sling feeder as I can feed larger, fattier prey this way, so I don't have to feed as often. I can also keep them in the fridge for up to 6 months, so they are a great option.

Coradams

Arachnoknight
Congratulations on your boehmei! I raised one and it was very satisfying to see how much bigger and brighter it became with every molt. It also spent a lot of time trying to push around a silk leaf which was fun to watch. I fed mine pre-killed crickets and mealworm bits and he thrived. No need for the prey to be twitching. Sling do just fine scavenging. Sorry for the passing of your rosea they are awesome ts.

Steve1698

Arachnopeon
Congratulations on your boehmei! I raised one and it was very satisfying to see how much bigger and brighter it became with every molt. It also spent a lot of time trying to push around a silk leaf which was fun to watch. I fed mine pre-killed crickets and mealworm bits and he thrived. No need for the prey to be twitching. Sling do just fine scavenging. Sorry for the passing of your rosea they are awesome ts.
Thank you! She'll be remembered for sure! One door closes so another can open! I've always liked the way the rosea's look after molting. I got both of them second hand and I have no idea how old either of them were when I got them. The one that passed I had for a bit over 10 years. The other one I've had about 5 years now. I'm super excited to raise a sling and actually get to watch the colors come in! It'll be fun to watch it progress over the next couple years or so!

Steve1698

Arachnopeon
This young one molted yesterday after refusing food since the 1st of November, it's only eaten the one time in my care. About half of a small mealworm tipped him right into premolt lol. I should also note that there was some confusion with the common name and scientific names when I originally posted this. This one was actually sold to me as a B.emilia, seller used the common name of Mexican Redleg. Too many Mexican Red...'s out there, lol.

20210111_004144.jpg