Brachypelma boehmei (breeding report)

Rhyce

Arachnopeon
12/3/16
Rhys Earl

"Breeding & Gestation of Brachypelma boehmei"
Brachypelma boehmei (Mexican Fire-leg) (Ginger)

:Successful

• Tarantulas
    • Male 5" After the date (11/5/15) he was no longer in my care, he was out on a loan.
    • Female 5.5"-6" Last molt prior to breeding occurred on (8/16/15)
  • Conditions
    • Temperature: 80F / 26.6C
    • Humidity: 40%-70%
  • Breeding
    • She was paired multiple times in between the dates of (10/10/15 - 11/5/15)
    • Early attempts proved unsuccessful, each attempt could last (1-2 hours). The male would start courting, but as soon as the females presence was made known. He would run out of the enclosure.
    • The first successful attempt Occurred on (10/23/15)
    • From the dates of (10/23/15 - 11/5/15) There were 5 successful pairings, with multiple insertions.
  • NOTES *
    • Female was fed regularly (Big meal once a week) during breeding, and the gestation period. (Until eventually refusing to eat when it came close to laying time)
    • She was kept at a humidity level of around (40%-50%). On the date (1/7/16) which was (2.5 months into gestation) the humidity was increased to (60%-70%). Too simulate B. boehmei's natural weather patterns. *The increased levels of humidity entices this species to lay their egg sac.
  • Egg sac
    • Laid/dropped on (2/24/16)
    • Temperature 80F/26.6C - Humidity 60%-70%
  • Pulling the Egg Sac
    • Egg sac was pulled on (3/17/16) (23 days)
    • All were found as Eggs with legs (EWLS)
    • Temp 81F/27.2C

Breeding was 100% Successful.

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
You had good insertions and kept pairing 4 more times? How much sperm do you think she needs? :wideyed: Every sac I've has came from one single pairing. Continued pairing is a good way to get a male munched....glad it worked out for you though:)

Best of luck with a future egg sac, they're a beautiful species.

Rhyce

Arachnopeon
You had good insertions and kept pairing 4 more times? How much sperm do you think she needs? :wideyed: Every sac I've has came from one single pairing. Continued pairing is a good way to get a male munched....glad it worked out for you though:)

Best of luck with a future egg sac, they're a beautiful species.
The more the merrier, I always want to make sure that most/all the eggs are fertilized. And it seems to work for me. I've never had a male get munched.

cold blood

Staff member
I know many people that have driven drunk a lot and not crashed, it doesnt mean that what theyre doing is safe based on thier prior success.

A female certainly dies not need multiple sperm contributions to fertalize tge sac....literally once is all it takes.

Best of luck with the sac, its always good to see some of the nicer looking brachys being bred.

cold blood

Staff member
Does....not dies:banghead::banghead:

using my phone means i have no edit option and get consistenrly screwed by my arch nemesis, autocorrect.

Rhyce

Arachnopeon
Drunk driving and Breeding T's is completely different. (Don't see much of a correlation there) It's easy to stop a female T from charging and lunging at the male.
Stopping a drunk driver running a red light, not much you can do. Your statement "Literally once is all it takes". Is almost entirely false, I've paired my G. porteri, with only 2 insertions, and got a half viable sac. I've paired A. geniculata with only 1 insertion, and got a completely infertile sac. The sperm is dropped when the eggs are dropped. Meaning the more sperm with in the sac, the more likely you are to have a 100% viable sac. This is why when the female lays her sac, she continues to roll it around, making sure sperm is completely obsorbed, so eggs can develop.

Last edited:

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
This is why when the female lays her sac, she continues to roll it around, making sure sperm is completely obsorbed, so eggs can develop.
I think you may want to do a bit more research my friend. I don't know that you grasp how fertilization works.
Also, the rolling of a sac is to prevent the eggs from clumping and such. If it were to not be rolled the majority of the eggs would remain under the weight of the eggs above them causing uneven pressure and causes the eggs to fuse and stick together.

Rhyce

Arachnopeon
Well thanks for letting me know. I was always previously told otherwise. We learn something new everyday, and this is why AB exists.

M3rcurY176

Arachnopeon
12/3/16
Rhys Earl

"Breeding & Gestation of Brachypelma boehmei"
Brachypelma boehmei (Mexican Fire-leg) (Ginger)

:Successful

• Tarantulas
    • Male 5" After the date (11/5/15) he was no longer in my care, he was out on a loan.
    • Female 5.5"-6" Last molt prior to breeding occurred on (8/16/15)
  • Conditions
    • Temperature: 80F / 26.6C
    • Humidity: 40%-70%
  • Breeding
    • She was paired multiple times in between the dates of (10/10/15 - 11/5/15)
    • Early attempts proved unsuccessful, each attempt could last (1-2 hours). The male would start courting, but as soon as the females presence was made known. He would run out of the enclosure.
    • The first successful attempt Occurred on (10/23/15)
    • From the dates of (10/23/15 - 11/5/15) There were 5 successful pairings, with multiple insertions.
  • NOTES *
    • Female was fed regularly (Big meal once a week) during breeding, and the gestation period. (Until eventually refusing to eat when it came close to laying time)
    • She was kept at a humidity level of around (40%-50%). On the date (1/7/16) which was (2.5 months into gestation) the humidity was increased to (60%-70%). Too simulate B. boehmei's natural weather patterns. *The increased levels of humidity entices this species to lay their egg sac.
  • Egg sac
    • Laid/dropped on (2/24/16)
    • Temperature 80F/26.6C - Humidity 60%-70%
  • Pulling the Egg Sac
    • Egg sac was pulled on (3/17/16) (23 days)
    • All were found as Eggs with legs (EWLS)
    • Temp 81F/27.2C
Breeding was 100% Successful.
How many eggs got through to 3rd/4th instar? I'm curious because i want to start breeding this species