Brachypelma and hair kicking

Adenovirus19

Arachnopeon
Thinking of getting a Mexican T with some kind of orange coloring. I know that behavior is specimen specific, but if it's possible to generalize, which Brachypelma sp. (with orange coloring) tends to kick hair the least?

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
B emilia in my experience. I have 10 Brachypelma in total and apart from schroederi and albo my emilia is the only 1 to not flick

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
B.boehmei are the worst, I'd say that B.smithi is amongst the least likely to flick hairs, mine have rarely done this. Usually if your careful they don't go out of their way to flick. This doesn't apply to B.boehmei, they flick at the slightest disturbance. So annoying :(
Individuals vary...

Last edited:

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have B. albopilosum and B. smithi and neither of mine are kickers.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
I've raised my B. smithi from 1 inch to adult size and she's only kicked... once if I remember correctly? Like humans, each species and specimen have their own personalities and attitudes.

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
B.boehmei are the worst, I'd say that B.smithi is amongst the least likely to flick hairs, mine have rarely done this. Usually if your careful they don't go out of their way to flick. This doesn't apply to B.boehmei, they flick at the slightest disturbance. So annoying :(
Individuals vary...

My B. Boehmei is the worst one in my entire collection. I must have a bad reaction to them more so than others because even just from opening the enclosure my arms break out really bad. Not a very pleasant feeling.