Brachypelma albopilosum, what are you doing!

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
BlackCat : Hi !

I glue spagnum moss onto a terracotta pot for the hidey home.

I managed to find some small Tilandsia's (air plants similar to bromeliads) at my local nursery (light grey spikey plant on the back left) which do well in the humidity and need no real care ;
And then just moss and "Peace in the Home" (Soleirolia soleirolii/Baby’s tears)

Air plants seem like a great choice for T homes since they need no soil - just misting/humidity.
:drool: That's gorgeous. I may have to try that for my B. smithi, see how she likes it.

TerribleGrizz

Arachnopeon
My G. pulchra sling did some redecorating the day after it ate a rather large cricket. Made a ridge partway across the enclosure. So maybe it does have something to do with eating a large meal?:?

BlackCat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

I managed to find some small Tilandsia's (air plants similar to bromeliads) at my local nursery (light grey spikey plant on the back left) which do well in the humidity and need no real care ;

Air plants seem like a great choice for T homes since they need no soil - just misting/humidity.
Awesome, note taken. I'll have to look into those :D

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer

They do need alot of bright light. http://www.airplants4u.com/TillandsiaCare.html

Last edited:

Dangergirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks Agentd - I have lighting over my tanks already because I like live plants in my enclosures ... gorgeous tilandsias on that site. I have one tiny one thats flowering and would love to get some more. I tried a few in my bearded dragon tank but he just ate them up :(

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Thanks Agentd - I have lighting over my tanks already because I like live plants in my enclosures ... gorgeous tilandsias on that site. I have one tiny one thats flowering and would love to get some more. I tried a few in my bearded dragon tank but he just ate them up :(
I got 3 of them off ebay and my 2 baby dragons chomped them up. they were supposed to flower.. :mad:

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you don't have a bulldozer with no regard to the plant decor or hide, then you have (likely a GBB) a TP prankster who sufficates the plants and turns everything a white with copious amounts of webbing. {D:D

Steff

Arachnopeon
My B. Albopilosum is about 1" diameter. She buried herself. totally closed in... I dont know what to do. its been two weeks now. i got her 3 weeks ago. my first T.. WHAT DO I DO?

TerribleGrizz

Arachnopeon
My B. Albopilosum is about 1" diameter. She buried herself. totally closed in... I dont know what to do. its been two weeks now. i got her 3 weeks ago. my first T.. WHAT DO I DO?
Your T is probably getting ready to molt. That's why it sealed itself in. Even if it's not there's nothing irregular about burrowing. Your T will be fine.:)

Steff

Arachnopeon
My Albopilosum is about 1.5". Its closed off its burrow. just noticed a small opening. I dont know wether to feed it or not. Because if its molting, a cricket can kill it.. what do i do? Wait and see? Feed it? dont feed it? It has a full bowl of fresh water everyday and humidity is 72% constant and temp is 23degrees C... What do i do?? im new to this

Your T is probably getting ready to molt. That's why it sealed itself in. Even if it's not there's nothing irregular about burrowing. Your T will be fine.:)
Hey Grizz, I put a mealworm at the tiny entrance. She grabbed it, but now i see she hasnt eaten it. think she just killed it... I know she prob gonna molt. but just a 1st time owner and guess i'm just stressing :) I'm like a mom lol:wall:

rippstop

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't worry mine has been buried since early August. I made a hole so I could see if it was dead and what I found was that it was alive, had molted and had the ability to get out if it wants to. it is sad that its hiding because it was one of my favorites to watch.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, Dozer's been at it quite a bit lately. She (hopefully) has been moving the sub back and forth after every meal- and to heck with a waterdish..:rolleyes:! Why can I not escape the feeling that she's looking up at me waiting for me to applaud her accomplishment everytime I open the enclosure? {D Little Big Butt just sits there looking bored- kinda like Rio the iheringi. Scotty, my subad "male" pulchra is being bad again, too. He drags his waterbowl all over the enclosure, then leaving it full of sub every few days. ;P

Burrowing/use of hides. My genic, tripepii, klugi, ornata and spinipes are the only ones that use their hides- only spinipes, klugi and ornata with any frequency, though. I took the clay flowerpots out of the 2 boehmei enclosures long ago. They both have a large flat piece of bark that they've constructed burrows underneath but rarely go there. Those two are still growing and will be veritable 6.5"+ monsters after next molt. In addition, they are in an easy-going phase and don't kick near as much these days. :clap:

:)

Terry