Brachypelma albopilosum sling hasn't molted

Frothybubbles

Arachnopeon
I've only had my Brachypelma albopilosum sling for about 3 weeks. The first week it ate great but now it hasn't eaten in just over 2 weeks. It's still alive but I'm worried about it. I'm a first time tarantula owner and would like any thoughts. I think it might be in pre-molt but as I've never owned one before I feel kinda lost. The sling is about the size of a quarter right now.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
There's no question here.

Just leave the spider alone, it will molt when it feels like it or it will eat when it feels like it. They don't have to eat very much to enter premolt as slings

Frothybubbles

Arachnopeon
Yeah my husband is hoping the sling will teach me patience cuz I have none. It's just nerve wracking cuz this is my first tarantula and a week after getting it, it stopped eating

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've only had my Brachypelma albopilosum sling for about 3 weeks. The first week it ate great but now it hasn't eaten in just over 2 weeks. It's still alive but I'm worried about it. I'm a first time tarantula owner and would like any thoughts. I think it might be in pre-molt but as I've never owned one before I feel kinda lost. The sling is about the size of a quarter right now.
What are you worried about??

All things being equal your T is fine. They don’t regularly eat like a human does

Nor can anyone tell you exactly when it will molt

Pics help a bit.

Lastly if you aren’t patient you own the wrong animal!

Given you are new search the forum for the hundreds of posts just like yours and learn more.

Ts don’t molt on a schedule per se, your concern is misplaced.

The more new people read here on AB the more they will learn, and god damn realize that 99% of the stuff they worry about isn’t unique to them, and most importantly they will learn that 99% of the things they ask have already been answered.

When I started here I read for a couple years more so than not. The things I had questions for didn’t need to be asked because I saw that tons of others had the same issues etc

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Do you think it's in pre-molt? The abdomen looks black and shiny.
Doesn’t matter what I think- it’s all about the T.

I’ve never cared if T is in premolt or not. It doesn’t change what I do for them.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Lol maybe it will teach me patience after all
Hey at least you keep an animal that shows some signs that a moult is going to happen soon-ish, even though you can't tell if that's in a few days or a few weeks. Try owning an amblypygi. They usually show no signs at all of an impending moult. They also stop eating for months on end and then just go back to eating like nothing happened. And then there's all the burrowing scorpions and tarantulas that you just don't see for months and you have to go on faith that they're still even alive.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
Yeah my husband is hoping the sling will teach me patience cuz I have none. It's just nerve wracking cuz this is my first tarantula and a week after getting it, it stopped eating
:D :D :Dyour husband is a wise man haha joking aside just make sure it has a full water dish always its butt will darken up whilst getting shiny all premolt signs. also dont stress if or when it decides to bury /barricade itself in its hide all normal stuff.i would suggest using the search function here you will find most if not all your answers to your questions (good way to learn more about your patience teaching pet):rofl: good luck welcome to the boards

Frothybubbles

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the encouraging words, I'm new to the forum and will definitely use the search function.

Frothybubbles

Arachnopeon
I just wish it would molt or eat.... You know, just do something lol. This truly is a hobby of waiting