Brachypelma albopilosum or Aphonopelma chalcodes.

The Amazing Me

Arachnopeon
Ok so an awesome user Cold Blood reccomended me these two tarantulas curly hair or blonde. I am orienting towards Curly hair since there is more known? Which is a better pet.
Id like to handle but it isnt a necessity
And I am a rookie
And thanks cold blood

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Both are great, although my specimen of A. chalcodes is very skittish. I gently take the lid off to fill water or put in a cricket, and she zooms all over the place at a speed she doesn't look capable of. Never kicks hairs, never acts defensive, but man she is really fast and she startles easily.

Slight leaning towards the B. albopilosum between those two on my end. Or a G. pulchripes, which is a nearly perfect starter T as well.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
You'll get more activity out of an A. chalcodes, but a B. albopilosum is usually more tolerant of handling. Note that these are generalities, individual specimens have different temperaments.

Concerning price, A. chalcodes will run you ~$50-$70 for an adult female since they are native to the US. An adult female B. albopilosum will be quite a bit more, especially if you want the Nicaraguan variant.

With care, they're both pretty much the same. A. chalcodes can be kept on absolutely bone dry substrate, whereas the B. albopilosum will appreciate a dose of humidity every other week or so in the form of an overflown water dish. Every albo that I've had is a bit of a pet rock, whereas the A. chalcodes always seems to be up to something. They're both very slow growing, although I believe A. chalcodes is a bit slower. But again, I'd strongly suggest that you get an adult regardless of what you get. Or at least a juvie.

In the end, you can't go wrong with either so long as you provide a proper home. Go with which looks prettier to you. If it matters, here are some pictures of each. Click each to enlarge.

A. chalcodes
IMG_1039.JPG

B. albopilosum, Honduran
IMG_1687.JPG

B. albopilosum, Nicaraguan
IMG_1683.JPG

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
You'll get more activity out of an A. chalcodes, but a B. albopilosum is usually more tolerant of handling. Note that these are generalities, individual specimens have different temperaments.

Concerning price, A. chalcodes will run you ~$50-$70 for an adult female since they are native to the US. An adult female B. albopilosum will be quite a bit more, especially if you want the Nicaraguan variant.

With care, they're both pretty much the same. A. chalcodes can be kept on absolutely bone dry substrate, whereas the B. albopilosum will appreciate a dose of humidity every other week or so in the form of an overflown water dish. Every albo that I've had is a bit of a pet rock, whereas the A. chalcodes always seems to be up to something. They're both very slow growing, although I believe A. chalcodes is a bit slower. But again, I'd strongly suggest that you get an adult regardless of what you get. Or at least a juvie.

In the end, you can't go wrong with either so long as you provide a proper home. Go with which looks prettier to you. If it matters, here are some pictures of each. Click each to enlarge.

A. chalcodes
View attachment 235864

B. albopilosum, Honduran
View attachment 235866

B. albopilosum, Nicaraguan
View attachment 235865
Where, How ,When did you acquire that beaut nicaraguan variant?

OP, you cannot really go wrong here. They are both great, do you have a limit on how much to spend?

The Amazing Me

Arachnopeon
I'd like a cheaper spider. I'm a rookie and I don't want to pay like a hundred bucks and lose a valuable spider. Is a GBB a good option? I prefer the blond tarantula or the A. Chaclodes

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I'd like a cheaper spider. I'm a rookie and I don't want to pay like a hundred bucks and lose a valuable spider. Is a GBB a good option? I prefer the blond tarantula or the A. Chaclodes
C. cyaneopubescens are inexpensive as slings, but can easily fetch over $200 as adults. But yes, it's a good beginner spider so long as you understand that it's fast and skittish. Not really able to be handled at all.

The "blonde tarantula" is the A. chalcodes. The common name is Tuscon Blonde... I think. You're not going to find a less expensive adult female other than G. rosea or G. porteri, both of which are a bit boring for a beginner.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
You're not going to find a less expensive adult female other than G. rosea or G. porteri, both of which are a bit boring for a beginner.
Actually, I've seen AF B. albopilosums in the $40-$50 range recently, so it's pretty much the same price as the AF A. chalcodes. It's probably the Honduran form, but still cheap and a good beginner T.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Actually, I've seen AF B. albopilosums in the $40-$50 range recently, so it's pretty much the same price as the AF A. chalcodes. It's probably the Honduran form, but still cheap and a good beginner T.
Really? Must be a price drop because people are after the Nicaraguans!

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Got her from another user on here on a killer deal. Currently trying to breed her if she would freaking cooperate.
I don't want to hijack this thread though i would like to
Yessir.

http://jrsinverts.com/2017/03/26/brachypelma-albopilosom-female-2-5-curly-hair/ 2.5" female $50

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/up...rammastola-pamphobeteus-and-many-more.292606/ 3.5 inch female $60

Right around the same price as the young AF A. chalcodes I've seen. $50, plus or minus $10. Which form of the albo you get is not certain though, if that's important to you.
What would you say a 5" female would go for? I might have to find a girlfriend for my male soon.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
What would you say a 5" female would go for? I might have to find a girlfriend for my male soon.
Haven't seen one that big recently. I would make an educated guess of $75-100, based on the other prices and sizes out there right now.