brachypelma albopilosum newbie questions

Sana

Arachnoprince
That's a good point. You can also put in a starter burrow once the substrate is deeper and lay a piece of bark or some plastic plant across most of the top. I do this for a lot of my terrestrials. Slings especially like to burrow and most of my adult terrestrials build burrows as well with deep enough substrate.

Haemus

Arachnosquire
Welcome to the hobby friend. Lots of helpful info and people on this forum. In regards to pt. 1, one of my G. pulchripes had no issues eating the day after changing enclosures. Not sure if you need to wait a week before feeding but I could be wrong (I'm new too :))

Beautiful T, the B. albo is definitely on the "to-get" list for me!

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
LOL, ive heard that they are pet rocks somewhat, i just wanted to make sure the sluggishness wasnt more than the ordinary lazy T. :D ive heard about the fasts as well haha, so im not terribly worried that he hasnt taken any crix. and it is a pretty big dish hahaha, ive been digging in my cupboards in search of a smaller jar lid, LOL -- want my little guy to have plenty of room to move if he ever gets up off his fuzzy butt. XD. and, thank you! i did my homework as best i could, didnt wanna end up with a T i couldnt care for just yet. :)
My mature F B. albopilosum only goes on food strike when in premolt. Otherwise she's a beast.
Doesn't refuse food.

JAFUENTES

Arachnodragon
@armadillo, I'm going with male as well as I see epiandrous fusillae forming, ventral shot of my female roughly the same size as your specimen.
Can you circle what your looking at? I've always wanted to learn how to ventral sex but am terrible at it.

JAFUENTES

Arachnodragon
Brachypelma Albolpilosum are one of my favorite species. They are docile in general and real lookers.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Can you circle what your looking at? I've always wanted to learn how to ventral sex but am terrible at it.
Did you see the picture i posted a few messages in (post 8)? I've circled a little black dot which I'm pretty sure is the epiandrous fusillae. Females are smooth and don't have this. Now, this is super easy to see on some species when they're small(er) like brachypelma and poecilotheria.

It's tricky when they're very small (at least for me) and normally for me, it's not this obvious.

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
@JAFUENTES exactly what @bryverine posted earlier in post #8, epiandrous fusillae, break in the furrow(bald patch in the middle of the vent) etc... in post 13 I uploaded a pic of my females gonoslit with no break in the vent.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I have found that mine don't fast for long - not nearly as long as many others. I've had them eat up to a few days prior to moulting. They are the disposals of my collection... they eat everything that the fasting ones refuse and that is why I feed them last. Usually the longest they go without food is when they are recovering from moulting and that is because I don't offer food.
You should always have, at least, one in your collection to pick up the slack.
I always offer food to mine almost immediately after rehousing. I will usually wait a day. I don't want them to think they've been moved to somewhere that they will never see food again.