Brachypelma albopilosum & moisture

Katiekooleyes

Arachnosquire
Howdy doody fellow T owners. Got a quick question regarding Brachypelma albopilosum before I commit. I've red conflicting guides on if their enclosure needs to be moist or not. Obviously, I don't want to get this wrong before I commit to constructing its enclosure before getting it, so confirmation would be very much appreciated. Thank you :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Quite frankly (leaving alone slings for a moment, and btw as you know slings, no matter which species, are always more delicate than their 'bigger' counterparts) I don't understand this recurring issue, in regards of B.albopilosum.

I mean, as juve/adults those T's are 'evergreen' tanks on eight legs, basically.

You can keep a juve/adult with the classic water dish always full, nothing will happens. You can overflow a bit (a bit) said water dish, nothing will happens. You can leave a corner/a place/spot of that substrate always slightly moist, nothing will happens.

What I'm 100% certain is that I wouldn't keep a Brachypelma albopilosum with the same (substrate talking) moistness like I keep my H.gigas etc definitely :)

cold blood

Staff member
They do fine on dry, bit appreciate a bit of moisture from time to time. I keep them mostly dry, but i do dampen part of the sub every now and again....especially when its really dry, like winter.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I kept the female i had on moist peat, letting it dry out ocasionally. Slings i slso kept moist, but this speicies seems to do fine on dry sub too as it seems?

Last edited:

Minty

@londontarantulas
My AF is kept on mainly dry substrate with a water dish that’s occasionally filled to overflow point.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
What makes this species so appropriate for beginners is the fact that they are so hardy. While they come from places that are more on the tropical spectrum, they seem to do fine being kept fairly dry as juveniles and adults. Unlike some species, you won't kill them from keeping them drier than their natural habitat. They allow a fairly wide margin of error.
I keep mine dry in the humid summer months and I overflow their water dish in the winter. I find them on top of the damp spot frequently at this time of year.

Katiekooleyes

Arachnosquire
Thank you all for your kind answers, exactly what I was looking for.

Well, guess I'm going to be the proud owner of a B. Albopilosum 2moz. Wohoo!!!

Minty

@londontarantulas
Thank you all for your kind answers, exactly what I was looking for.

Well, guess I'm going to be the proud owner of a B. Albopilosum 2moz. Wohoo!!!
THE most underrated tarantula in the hobby, in my humble opinion.