Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Brachypelma Albopilosum Husbandry

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Sithton, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Advertisement
    I recently picked up my first Tarantula (a B. Albo named Grinch) and I wanted to post some pics of its enclosure to make sure there is no glaring husbandry issues.

I was previously keeping it in a smaller plastic container, but i think the substrate was too moist. It never went into the hide, and spent a lot of time against the walls. It also darted out of the enclosure anytime it was opened. When I saw it with condensation on the walls, I took the queue and rehoused it into a different enclosure (the first enclosure had a really frustrating lid that was a pain to close.)

The new enclosure is using bone dry coco coir with a water bowl that I keep full. It has seemed a bit stressed out since the rehouse, not really stretching out, but it has used the hide, and explored the enclosure. It has also laid a thin layer of webbing (so fine you can only really see it when the light reflects off of it) around a significant area of the enclosure. This was not behavior it exhibited during the week it spent in the ither enclosure. It has been taking B. Dubias readily, and its abdomen has become noticeably more plump since it has been in my care. My largest concern is that the substrate is currently too dry, and that I just went from one extreme to another. I have also noticed posts in which the OP is asking one question, but you all have noticed other issues with the husbandry, so please let me know if you see any other issues.

I have attached some pictures of the enclosure, and have since wetted down a corner of the substrate with a couple of pipettes full of water. I figure I am just overthinking all this, but if you all could take a look it would give me some peace of mind. Thanks.

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

Ah ah :)

3. Here are a few pics of the old enclosure for comparison. The top layer is dryer than the rest as I have been keeping the enclosure open over the last few days in an attempt to dry out the substrate.

Also, it may be worth noting that the room the T is in is normally really dry. It is winter and it is heated with space heater.

Attached Files:

4. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor

I get condensation in half my cages on cool mornings.. no need to rehouse over it..

They appreciate some humidity. Never keep it bone dry.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

Seems fine, man. Personally I would use a more little (in height, I mean) water dish (I love glass ones) and replace that coco-hide with a good old piece of cork bark with a fake leave here and there, but that's only an obsession of mine :pompous:

On the second pic, yes, the substrate was a bit too much on the moist side.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

What @Venom1080 said, albopilosum and vagans actually appreciate a bit of moisture in the substrate, it's a common misconception that they should be kept bone dry like every other Brachypelma species.

I'd also use a slightly shorter water dish and part bury it so that the top is just above substrate level, this makes it easier for the T to access the water but helps keep substrate out if you overflow the dish to moisten the substrate around it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Thanks for the replys. I'll add some more moisture to the substrate, and I'll work on getting a lower profile water dish this weekend. I appreciate the input.

8. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

I agree...condensation is from either a lack of proper ventilation...or a simple cooling of the enclosure. For instance, if I turn off my space heater, within an hour almost every enclosure will start to develop condensation....condensation is a red flag, yes, but not when its caused by a temp drop...that's normal. So if there was some (even minor) temp drop, I wouldn't worry. Albos do like a little dampness in the sub, but not a ton and they will do ok on dry....so err on the dry side if you start over-thinking things (which is normal)....cause too dry is better than too wet.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

In addition to what else has been said about moisture, I would bury most of that hide (or better yet, get a piece of cork that is not a round tube and bury most of it at an angle).

Tarantulas like cozy spaces. They will excavate to make a space larger if need be, but they don't seem to figure out that they can add dirt to make it smaller.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. beaker41

beaker41 Arachnoknight

The fact that she’s laying a layer of web over everything is a good sign that’s she’s settling in, should be nice and cozy and burrowing in a couple weeks. Personally I keep my albo’s in dry on top moist underneath substrate and always a full water dish, they seem to do fine in any number of moisture levels, very hardy species.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

The only thing that i noticed is the relatively large ventilation holes. Not too big for the spider to escape, but you'll have fun catching the crickets after you've fed them if she doesn't eat them.
    I made the same mistake... didn't understand where the free ranging crickets came from until i spotted one actually crawling through one of the holes...

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. I never even thought of that when melting the holes. Fortunately, this T is being fed exclusively dubias, but that is certainly something I will be aware of when making ventilation holes in containers in the future. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

I had to redo five of my containers...:shifty:
    Oh well... practice makes perfect :smug:

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.