Brachypelma Albopilosum growing really slow

Shamrock

Arachnolover
Good day everyone

I started with tarantulas 8 years ago, starting of with a Brachypelma albopilosum. Since then i have attained a few different tarantulas and some that are wonderfull adult specimens now.

The problem is, Curly grows really slowly. She rarely eats and is so docile to the point were i considered she might be brain dead at one stage.

I keep her temperature between 23 - 28 °C year round and humidity aroud 70%.

Has anybody else experienced this? Thanx in advance 20150308_172925.jpg 8year old curly

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Well... yeah. It's a B. albopilosum, of course it's going to grow slowly. It looks like you have a subadult there, expect at least a year between molts - more likely longer. You've got a fat individual there, so there's just nothing to worry about. Brachypelma in general aren't known for their growth rates.

Please ignore specific temperatures and humidity ranges. Just overflow the water dish every now and then for this species, that's all that is required.

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
Welcome to slow growing species. Brachypelma don't grow fast over all so what you are experiencing is normal.

Shamrock

Arachnolover
Thanx for the reply.
The reason i was concerned is that i have another B albopilosum female that is 2years younger (from a friend that lost interest) and already she is larger. She is also more active and not shy to eat.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Thanx for the reply.
The reason i was concerned is that i have another B albopilosum female that is 2years younger (from a friend that lost interest) and already she is larger. She is also more active and not shy to eat.
There are a few different types of B. albopilosum out there. Combine that with individual characteristics and you're bound to see differences. I've got four G. pulchripes sacmates, and all are growing at different rates. One is still firmly in the sling stage, and the other three are certainly juveniles at this point. It happens.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Gorgeous albo. I hope your T doesn't fall and die/go splat on the sidewalk w/such a large abdomen.
Not sure what you are asking as you know this genus is a slow grower.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Mine eats and drinks like a horse. only one that empties her dish by actually drinking the water lol. Mine is a lot smaller than yours, but is growing fast so far.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@sarahloveshantzel

What part of my post did you dislike? My admiration of the beauty of nature OR my lack of admiration for the possibility of an owner putting their cherished pet's life at stake?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Kitana (my Honduran form) went from just under 2" to just over 4" in around 9 months, her last moult was nearly 8 months ago though.
Angel (my Nicaraguan form) has taken 4 months to go from 1cm to just over an inch.

Both have great appetites though.

Rak3

Arachnopeon
Hugely depends on the conditions it's being raised in. My Father has a albo and I have a vagans both the same age but his grew to 5 inches in 2 years and my vagans is about 3 inches. He feeds his probably 2 - 3 times per week and mine is fed about once per week. Both are heated in similar conditions.