Brachypelma albopilosum breeding

LilTwister123

Arachnopeon
I bred my two on 11/9/16
Since then I have put my male into the females tank (he was in a deli cup) several times.
He drummed at her the entire time and she showed no interest at all, just carried about her business.
She has also been burrowing a lot in this last month.
Do these sound like good signs that I should be expecting a sac soon? I would like to offer the male for other breeding loans but not if it means I'm giving away my only breeding opportunity.
Thoughts?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
A sac soon? I wouldn't think so, no. It's only been two months. She's got a lot of eggs to make (upwards of 1000), so she could be waiting awhile. Not the same species, but my very gravid B. emilia is still dragging around a fat abdomen four months after pairing.

Her excavating and refusing the male are both good signs, though. Personally, I'd bump the humidity in there every few days. I haven't bred this species, but many Brachypelma reproduce during the rainy season.

cold blood

Staff member
Yes, send him out on a loan if you can find a reliable individual.

LilTwister123

Arachnopeon
Oh I'm in no rush, I should've just said "expecting". However long it takes her is fine. I would just hate to give away the male just to find out I didn't get any eggs of my own

Majorsnow

Arachnopeon
That means a good single,the female must be pregnant,so she burrowed a lot to build a delivery room. During this time she do not want to be disturbed by anyone,U should take the male out and give the female enough food and keep the temperature at 80F and humidity between 65%---75%,then wait 1 or 2 month,when one day the female spin a lot of web to cover her room ,means that she will give birth

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
That means a good single,the female must be pregnant,so she burrowed a lot to build a delivery room. During this time she do not want to be disturbed by anyone,U should take the male out and give the female enough food and keep the temperature at 80F and humidity between 65%---75%,then wait 1 or 2 month,when one day the female spin a lot of web to cover her room ,means that she will give birth
I'm sorry, but what? Pregnant? Delivery room? Give birth? I of course know what you're trying to say, but incorrect terminology is how bad information gets spread.

It's also impossible to know how long she'll be gravid. Some will lay a sac within a month, some take the better half of a year. With an abdomen that small, there's no way she's even close to laying a sac. Specific humidity and temperature numbers are also a rabbit hole, since the former can't be properly measured and the latter doesn't need to be that specific. Keep it more humid and warmer, yes, but there is no magical number to aim for.

LilTwister123

Arachnopeon
I'm sorry, but what? Pregnant? Delivery room? Give birth? I of course know what you're trying to say, but incorrect terminology is how bad information gets spread.

It's also impossible to know how long she'll be gravid. Some will lay a sac within a month, some take the better half of a year. With an abdomen that small, there's no way she's even close to laying a sac. Specific humidity and temperature numbers are also a rabbit hole, since the former can't be properly measured and the latter doesn't need to be that specific. Keep it more humid and warmer, yes, but there is no magical number to aim for.
I understood what they meant, I'm not trying to ask if she's going to lay any day now, just if I should be expecting a sac at all

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I understood what they meant, I'm not trying to ask if she's going to lay any day now, just if I should be expecting a sac at all
Likely yes. Those are good signs. But she needs to eat more as others have said.