BrachyPelma Albiceps

ThatWeirdSpiderGuy88

Arachnopeon
Hello all! I've read some old threads regarding peoples trouble in finding B. Albiceps. And personally it wasn't difficult at all for me to get my hands on the sweetest sling! I got it through Jamies Tarantulas, anyone else heard of it? Anyways I was wondering how big of a sling enclosure should i muster up? And also a question thats been dragging in the back of my mind. How often will this little guy molt? I'm a newbie so please be patient with me! :banghead::bookworm:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
What is the DLS (diagonal leg span) of your sling? Once we know that, we can tell you what containers would be ideal.

The molt rate is fastest when they are small, and it slows down the bigger they get. Young slings might molt as often as every 3 weeks if conditions are ideal, and adults may only molt once a year, or even less depending on the species.

Last edited:

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Jamies tarantulas has been around a long time, and used to be a very popular source around here. Ive bought and sold with her, and never had any complaints.
Her prices may be a bit higher than elsewhere, but youve got to consider its a business for her, and there's overhead involved.

Anyways, congratulations on the sling. For one that size id recommend just keeping it in a little salsa size cup (like those found at taco time)

In my experience, Balbo have vastly different growth rates. I had males go from .5" to about 5" in a year, and females go from .5" to around 3" in that time, plus ive had them take much longer too.
It boiled down to forcefeeding and individualism i guess

cold blood

Staff member
Small B.albiceps are often poor eaters and exceedingly slow growers. I've had fasts of 177 days for a 1/2" sling. Very boring sling to raise...if its one of your only, you may be pulling your hair out. You ask us to be patient...lmao, its you that will need the ultimate patience of a Tibetan monk.:D

Good news is that when their colors begin to come in, so does their feeding response, and the bigger they get, the better of an eater they become. Mine went from worst eater in a large collection, to one of the best. Also, along with that better appetite, they also start to grow faster from like 1.5-3.5". It took me 2.5 years to get mine from 1/3" to 1". In the next year, she jumped to just about 3".:cigar:

Its all worth the effort though, cause they look sooo darn good.

I agree with greyzone on housing, a condiment cup is the best place...I tried everything with both of mine. Keep it simple and don't give them too much room. And feed pre-kill.

View media item 38785

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
For tge record, jamie from jamies tarantulas is a member here under the namr sukai94. If anybody ever has doubt or hesitant to do business with her, id suggest searching her reviews page

ThatWeirdSpiderGuy88

Arachnopeon
Thats a beauty! Yeah, their color is one of the main reasons i was interested in him. But the main thing that attracted me was their docile nature. Isn't it funny how i used to be a big time arachnophobe?

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mine is very shy. She is also a very picky eater and a super slow grower. She's maybe 3" after a year with her from 1".

ThatWeirdSpiderGuy88

Arachnopeon
For tge record, jamie from jamies tarantulas is a member here under the namr sukai94. If anybody ever has doubt or hesitant to do business with her, id suggest searching her reviews page
Update! I recently got a B. Vagans as well, very pleased with him also! Heh, he's almost like a pet rock! So. it's normal for him to burrow down isn't it? I know he's terrestial. But he didn't even attempt to go hide under the wood i set up in his enclosure. I got a pic of him and a video.

ThatWeirdSpiderGuy88

Arachnopeon
I have an abundance of pinhead roaches, my trouble is catching a singular roach and picking it up, it's very slippery. How do i catch it? And also my sling is 1/2 inch and i mist down his cage every 3 days. I use topsoil as substrate. And i keep him in a simple deli cup, although i rarely see him. I know this apart of the adjustment period but i rarely ever see him come out from under his burrow, i haven't even seen him drink yet. So whats the problem? I also use a sponge.