Brachycybe Lecontii found in North Alabama

Madnesssr

Arachnoknight
I had a great surprise this weekend. While splitting firewood, I found Brachycybe Lecontii. I was so excited. I didn’t realize they were native to this area 7B01AE42-0F70-4ACC-9790-2B2257BE7C02.jpeg 7B01AE42-0F70-4ACC-9790-2B2257BE7C02.jpeg

Madnesssr

Arachnoknight
Sure is. It is the bottom layer of stack that has been sitting for ~4-5 years. The entire bottom row was rotten of course. We are going to build a cover and get the new wood off the ground.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Have you done an Environmental Impact Report (EIR) on what the effects will be of raising the firewood? Have you prepared a separate section where wood will be left to rot for future generations of Brachycybe ;):D?

Nice find! Wish I had platydesmids just to find where I am, but they are all farther north. High time I tried to rear these again...
Apparently there are two species of Brachycybe in Alabama, B. lecontii and B. petasata.

Thanks for sharing,

Arthroverts

Madnesssr

Arachnoknight
Have you done an Environmental Impact Report (EIR) on what the effects will be of raising the firewood? Have you prepared a separate section where wood will be left to rot for future generations of Brachycybe ;):D?

Nice find! Wish I had platydesmids just to find where I am, but they are all farther north. High time I tried to rear these again...
Apparently there are two species of Brachycybe in Alabama, B. lecontii and B. petasata.

Thanks for sharing,

Arthroverts
[/QUOTE]

I am leaving the rotting layer there to see how they progress. I added more hickory to the pile and covered with leaves. I hope they continue to do well there. I am making my husband move his location for the wood shed. :^)

But now you have me second guessing ID. Not 100% certain. I thought they were Lecontii but now that I look at the petasata...they may not be.

Last edited:

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Nice find. We have some interesting creatures here in Alabama.