Brachy easier to sex than Grammies?

Panic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i noticed that brachys are easier to sex than grammies because at 1.5 inch i can already see the spermathecae of brachys with a hand lens. But in Grammies at 1.5 inch i don't see anything at all. Am i right? and for what i remember, i have read somewhere that brachys develop their spermathecae at a young age. What are your observations? please share :D

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Are you sure the Grammostola spp. your trying to sex isn't male?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sounds like you might have a male Grammostola spp develop early as well.

Panic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
@novak i'm not sure, i recently sexed 5 grammostola SP. the past week, and all i see is blank. all are under 2" in size. rosie, actaeons, and chacos.

@talkenlate here is an example of the exhuvium, do you guys think its male?

i have never seen a grammostola specie under 2" with spermathecae visible on the exhuvium. i lack experience with these species. can anyone post a pic?

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It is not the size that matters but the number of molts, or that is at least what I have been told. Since most Brachys are slow growers, unlike G. actaeon, G. aureostriatan or even G. pulchra. Brachys will naturally have more molts per inch then the rest. So if it takes 7 molts to develop spermathecae. And your Gammastola makes it to 2 inchs by the 6 molt then you could not expect to see spermathecae. But if your B. smithi is on the 15 molt and is only 2 inches big then you can expect to see them. In saying that I have sexed a 1.5 inch g. actaeon, rosea, aureostriatan, and pulchra.

But this is just a quess and I really do not have a clue.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It is not the size that matters but the number of molts, or that is at least what I have been told. Since most Brachys are slow growers, unlike G. actaeon, G. aureostriatan or even G. pulchra. Brachys will naturally have more molts per inch then the rest. So if it takes 7 molts to develop spermathecae. And your Gammastola makes it to 2 inchs by the 6 molt then you could not expect to see spermathecae. But if your B. smithi is on the 15 molt and is only 2 inches big then you can expect to see them. In saying that I have sexed a 1.5 inch g. actaeon, rosea, aureostriatan, and pulchra.

Sounds very reasonable to me! :clap:

@ Panic, can you get a closer shot, the lighting is making it hard to tell if something is there or not.

Panic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

thanks. I guess i have to wait for the next few molts of my chacos. as of now, i can't really see anything in the exhuvium, it may be male, i'm just going to rely on the next molt.