Species Brachionopus pretoriae

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
A friend of mine getting out of the hobby has one he wants to give to me and I am on the fence about taking it. Can you tell me about their behavior? Do they act like Heterothele sp or any other dwarf?

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
So I have a heterothele gabonensis to compare to. My h gabonensis webs a lot and is visible usually but the pretoriae doesn’t and is usually burrowed. However, when I recently went to feed the pretoriae is was right out on top, and I didn’t see it at first. Like the heterothele, this one is very very fast. Possibly the fastest I’ve seen a tarantula move, comparable to a pokie. I didn’t realize how small they are when they mature, but I was unable to sex mine from a molt.

It ate two or three times and could take down decent sized prey before going into premolt and I’ve only had it for a couple months, but it seems to be an obligate burrower. Despite doing laps around its enclosure when I first brought it home, it was very chill when I did the rehousing, likely due to being in premolt I guess though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Welp I just realized it’s a MM. Less than an inch and a half. I bought it because nobody else has these and I like baboons. And now I’m stuck with a MM. I’m hoping I can find someone who can use him

Metallattorney

Arachnopeon
I have one of these but almost never see it. Mine behaves somewhat like an i. mira, preferring to snag prey when they wander by a flap over its burrow.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I have one of these but almost never see it. Mine behaves somewhat like an i. mira, preferring to snag prey when they wander by a flap over its burrow.
I sent this boy off to breed. Hopefully we will see some more of them in the hobby down the road