Bow Front Aquariums

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So I've spent a good deal of time looking online and on local store websites for somewhere that sells medium (10-20 gallon) bow front aquariums.

I really like the Aqueon 16 gallon one, but all I can find is the stupid kit with filter, hood, heater, and other junk. I'm looking at (someday, if the wife let's me) putting a centipede, probably Scolopendra angulata, in one because the aquariums are nice and tall and would make a nice display - even if the centipede is hiding.

Are these no longer in fashion or something? Does anyone know where I can find just the tank for a decent price?

Thanks!

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
So I've spent a good deal of time looking online and on local store websites for somewhere that sells medium (10-20 gallon) bow front aquariums.

I really like the Aqueon 16 gallon one, but all I can find is the stupid kit with filter, hood, heater, and other junk. I'm looking at (someday, if the wife let's me) putting a centipede, probably Scolopendra angulata, in one because the aquariums are nice and tall and would make a nice display - even if the centipede is hiding.

Are these no longer in fashion or something? Does anyone know where I can find just the tank for a decent price?

Thanks!
You could try local fish stores that resell used aquariums. That is the only places I've seen them sold searately.

Keep in mind, you'll have to custom make a locking lid for it and those rim dimensions are unforgiving.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You could try local fish stores that resell used aquariums. That is the only places I've seen them sold searately.

Keep in mind, you'll have to custom make a locking lid for it and those rim dimensions are unforgiving.
Pft! Lock? I'm just going to leave that top open! ;)

I was going to make a custom hinged top like the glass lids except it would be glued down in the back and have a lock in the front.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Pft! Lock? I'm just going to leave that top open! ;)

I was going to make a custom hinged top like the glass lids except it would be glued down in the back and have a lock in the front.
I'm looking at my 36 bowfront and the sealant is pretty wide, wide enough for a determined centipede to use as a ladder. Scraping it off is an option (what I do if I'm using an aquarium for a pede) to prevent that, also doubling down on the locks if you aren't going to scrape it.

Oh, you could also browse the craiglist part for aquariums and tanks in your area. I see them pop up there sometimes too.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm looking at my 36 bowfront and the sealant is pretty wide, wide enough for a determined centipede to use as a ladder. Scraping it off is an option (what I do if I'm using an aquarium for a pede) to prevent that, also doubling down on the locks if you aren't going to scrape it.
I read they can use that as a ladder. :eek: Impressive little stinkers! :D

Oh, you could also browse the craiglist part for aquariums and tanks in your area. I see them pop up there sometimes too.
Good idea, I'll keep an eye out. As long as I don't have to send any money to Africa, I'll be happy. :rolleyes: