Bought bag of loose Eco Earth substrate, do I need to moisten it or is it good to go?

sid1221

Arachnopeon
Getting an adult G. pulchripes so wasn't sure if I needed to do anything else to the coconut fiber substrate besides pouring it in the cage and packing it a bit.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Getting an adult G. pulchripes so wasn't sure if I needed to do anything else to the coconut fiber substrate besides pouring it in the cage and packing it a bit.
I've never bought this, but if it's in a sealed bag (no holes) I think it's fine going straight in the enclosure.

If you can compress it is also another good sign it is fine. I wouldn't add moisture as adult G. pulcheripes don't really need much more moisture than their water dish provides.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
You're good, just pack it as firmly as possible. No moisture added to the substrate, do provide a water dish though. I've never seen mine drink but its there just in case they want a sip or two.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I prefer as well coco fiber (and Irish peat moss) on the loose. I hate those bricks, they need forever to dry up, and here those are pretty cheap as well on 1 KG on the loose bags. No need (for such T's) to moist etc

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Be careful on the eco earth. It is high quality stuff. But I bought a couple bags recently that were extremely moist. This was the premade (not the bricks). I had to let them dry out some before I could use it for T's that don't need a moist substrate.

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
I always bake my cocofiber in the oven for awhile before putting it in the cage. It steralizes and dries it. I bake it for about an hour at 250°, let it cool, then use it.