Bought A Brazilian pink Birdeater Sling i believe the correct term is Lasidora Parahybana

Jessica88

Arachnopeon
So I bought this sling with anotherone from a known breeder ive done research about cause I hear its important to get from a good breeder <edit> anyways I recieved my sling this month on the 6th and he hasnt ate since ive had him he can move very quickly when I open his enclosure and I move something in there so his speed is good his very very very tiny more tiny than the other sling we bought which has some meat on it at least and that one has no problem eating but the Ladidora parahybana hasn't ate at all he hides under stuff but hasnt burrowed ive offered baby red runner roaches I believe there called that the breeder gave me ive tried giving to it alive he won't eat it he runs away every time I try to feed him so ive also left them dead he still hasnt ate it ive tried another food source thinking maybe he doesnt like it so I tried a meal worm alive he ran so I killed it and left it he hasnt touched it I mean could he have ate any I believe hes 1/3" maybe a little tiner so is it possible hes so small I wouldnt notice he ate any but I literally look and its always in the same spot never moved looks still intact like it hasnt been touched I know he can be in premolt but I'm just worried since I'm a beginner and hes so tiny like possibly smaller than my pinky nail and I'm a girl with small hands and nails I can attach the pic from the website what this T is if that could help more I just also look at his abdomen and it's also very tiny do I have anything to worry about yet the people said they feed all T's the day before there shipped I asked if they fed this one they said yes he's still moves fast and is not curled up or anything he does move in different locations in his enclosure

Last edited by a moderator:

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Holy punctuation Batman. I believe you're trying to say you think you're having a problem getting the sling to eat. Slings fill up fast, and you may not be able to tell that they fed off of a feeder just by looking at it. Simply leave a pre-killed roach in once/twice a week and remove it in a day or two. If it's hungry, it'll eat. If it's not, it'll eventually molt. That simple.

Post a few pictures of the tarantula's enclosure and we'll confirm whether everything is kosher or not. Make sure you're basing husbandry off this website, and not any caresheets elsewhere. Search button is in the top right corner, use the scientific name.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Could we get pics of the enclosure please? At that size they will scavenge for pre killed food items, but it's important the T is in a small enough enclose that you can easily monitor them

Holy punctuation batman. I believe you're trying to say you think you're having a problem getting the sling to eat. Slings fill up fast, and you may not be able to tell that they fed off of a feeder just by looking at it. Simply leave a pre-killed roach in once/twice a week and remove it in a day or two. If it's hungry, it'll eat. If it's not, it'll eventually molt. That simple.

Post a few pictures of the tarantula's enclosure and we'll confirm whether everything is kosher or not. Make sure you're basing husbandry off this website, and not any caresheets elsewhere. Search button is in the top right corner, use the scientific name.
Yes please use scientific name/ punctuation if possible

Jessica88

Arachnopeon
Yeah I was wondering if my enclosure is to big but I can see her activity but I will post pics close ups and far to see actual size and its a Lasidora paraphybana is that the proper punctuation like I said very new the other one I got came with an enclosure that one is bigger but eating thats why I'm not worried ok pics coming

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Yeah I was wondering if my enclosure is to big but I can see her activity but I will post pics close ups and far to see actual size and its a Lasidora paraphybana is that the proper punctuation like I said very new the other one I got came with an enclosure that one is bigger but eating thats why I'm not worried ok pics coming
Punctuation = Commas, periods, question marks, etc. I included a link in my first post that sounds like it'll be useful, click the red text.

Lasiodora parahybana is the proper name of this species. It may be abbreviated to L parahybana as well.

Jessica88

Arachnopeon
Ok so heres close ups and far away and last pics is my other T's enclosure my package came with only that one was available for me to buy enclosure thats why I have thos one in this one it was a freebie but I still care about it I recently put sprayed in one spot thats where he's hanging out at right now maybe its to much water let me know anyways heres the pics 20210419_012945.jpg 20210419_012928.jpg 20210419_013006.jpg 20210419_012956.jpg 20210419_013102.jpg 20210419_013047.jpg 20210419_013128.jpg 20210419_013120.jpg 20210419_012903.jpg 20210419_012915.jpg

CarlixTomix

Arachnopeon
For me it looks too wet, or are those reflections messing with my eyes? It feels like if you took some substrate with your fingers it would be dripping.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Both of your enclosures are way too moist. That's what we'd call "swampy." Even moisture dependent species don't need it that wet. It needs to dry out a lot or your Ts are at risk of dying - stuffy environments are a fast way to kill them. It honestly might be better to just rehouse them entirely with how much water you have in there. Misting isn't the best. If you do mist, don't mist the whole thing like it's a lizard cage - Ts main sensory organ is their setae; water and air spraying down on them is stressful. Most of us spray/pour water directly into a corner of the substrate instead. I've attached a picture of what I use to add water into the sub. You can find these online sold as "wash bottles"

This picture shows an appropriate water line within the substrate. The whole container does not need to be wet. It doesn't need to be at this specific level, but there should be some dry substrate on top. The sling will burrow to the moisture level it desires. Always keep the water dish full.

20210419_025818_HDR~2.jpg

Read this please: https://arachnoboards.com/threads/tarantula-information-for-beginners-and-more.318718/

Also watch this and this (they're links, click them).
Do not watch any other youtube channels.

Wash bottle:
20210419_025704.jpg
And please try to use periods, commas, and question marks.

Jessica88

Arachnopeon
Both of your enclosures are way too moist. That's what we'd call "swampy." Even moisture dependent species don't need it that wet. It needs to dry out a lot or your Ts are at risk of dying - stuffy environments are a fast way to kill them. It honestly might be better to just rehouse them entirely with how much water you have in there. Misting isn't the best. If you do mist, don't mist the whole thing like it's a lizard cage - Ts main sensory organ is their setae; water and air spraying down on them is stressful. Most of us spray/pour water directly into a corner of the substrate instead. I've attached a picture of what I use to add water into the sub. You can find these online sold as "wash bottles"

This picture shows an appropriate water line within the substrate. The whole container does not need to be wet. It doesn't need to be at this specific level, but there should be some dry substrate on top. The sling will burrow to the moisture level it desires. Always keep the water dish full.

View attachment 382255

Read this please: https://arachnoboards.com/threads/tarantula-information-for-beginners-and-more.318718/

Also watch this and this (they're links, click them).
Do not watch any other youtube channels.

Wash bottle:
View attachment 382256
And please try to use periods, commas, and question marks.
I will rehouse right noe the other one I didn't open that one isnt like that one at all I put some water and accidentally put a little yo much the other one is drier doesnt look anything like this one and that one actually burrowed and eats very well thank you so much for the advice and will rehouse my smaller T

Sterls

Arachnobaron
The other one is still too moist despite your objection, IMO. You shouldn't have this much condensation, and the substrate is a uniform moisture (no water line)

What species is in this enclosure?

Screenshot_20210419-034634~3_(1).png