Bottle cap water dish?

Estein

Arachnoknight
Hey y'all. I've seen a couple photos of setups floating around that use a beer bottle cap as a water dish for small specimens. I'm wondering how common this is and if there is any concern about the sharp edges on the caps. Along a similar vein, what are some of the "found" water dishes you have used?

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Personally I like to stay away from any metal as metal will rust. Any plastic dish that didn't have any bad chems in it prior is what I've been using.

Gatorade bottle tops or as strange as this sounds I use generic PM bottle tops, because even though they had medicine it them, they have the "child lock" plastic section that can be removed, and that's all that was touching any meds. Of course I wash well.

Lately I've taken to using 2oz portion cups for my larger spiders

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
I like plain old plastic caps from soda bottles . Easy to clean and depending on the soda the caps come in an array of colors .

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Pills.JPG

Holds 15 mls, use for arboreal/terrestrial Ts 2" and up, 7 for 1$

Also use water bottle caps. I don't use anything that hasn't touched anything but water.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
Also use water bottle caps. I don't use anything that hasn't touched anything but water.
Yeah I used a gatorade cap once and then got a little worried so I stopped. Buying 100 delicups was the best decision I've ever made, lol

truecreature

Arachnoknight
I like plain old plastic caps from soda bottles . Easy to clean and depending on the soda the caps come in an array of colors .
True that. I like matching the cap color to the lid of the KK the tarantula is in, and I may have bought certain sodas before just for a matching cap...

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Don't think I'd ever use a beer bottle cap...too sharp and metal can just be a no-no in general. I use water bottle caps or some of the ones like @viper69 showed above, but I get mine at the Container Store.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah I used a gatorade cap once and then got a little worried so I stopped. Buying 100 delicups was the best decision I've ever made, lol
Are you using a delicup to hold them w/the water? If so, what are you using. I've only 2 companies make holders for them.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
why? i use gatorade caps, milk gallon caps, juice, etc. etc.
It isn't that you can't. I hate how plastics absorb whatever they touch often times. So I don't feel like soaking caps or washing them out to be sure whatever leached in, leached back out.

I don't want my Avics acting like Tap's because they drank too much from a Gatorade cap w/all that sugar and bounce all around :rofl::rofl:

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
Are you using a delicup to hold them w/the water? If so, what are you using. I've only 2 companies make holders for them.
-Maybe delicup is the wrong word, agh, they're just little things you would put ketchup in, that you'd get at like a soup restaurant. I just put water in them then try and bury them in the dirt so the spider doesn't flip them.
Does not work. Yesterday I watched as my B. vagans literally picked the dish up, and threw it to the other side of her cage, just so she could stretch herself out better!

-I really need to get colored ones to match the inverts' colors as you do!

- And I used to also soak my gatorade caps in a cup of water for days but now I'm lazy so I just do this now

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
-Maybe delicup is the wrong word, agh, they're just little things you would put ketchup in, that you'd get at like a soup restaurant. I just put water in them then try and bury them in the dirt so the spider doesn't flip them.
Does not work. Yesterday I watched as my B. vagans literally picked the dish up, and threw it to the other side of her cage, just so she could stretch herself out better!

-I really need to get colored ones to match the inverts' colors as you do!

- And I used to also soak my gatorade caps in a cup of water for days but now I'm lazy so I just do this now
Yes a condiment cup. I've seen 2 companies make holders for those in the USA. Not sure which cups you need to buy for them.

lunarae

Arachnobaron
So far mostly I have slings, so I use...........monopoly houses! and as they get bigger I upgrade them to hotels XD. And from there....I may stick with something from the pet store who knows. I like to make their homes display pieces for around the house so usually I chose things that go with the enclosure if I can.

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
Yes a condiment cup. I've seen 2 companies make holders for those in the USA. Not sure which cups you need to buy for them.
Ah, I would have no idea, lol, I've never used anything to hold them down, I just grin and bear my B. albopilosum and B. vagans turning them on their sides and rolling them around