Bothriocyrtum californicum WEIRD PROBLEM!!!

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't know what this is.

This girl was wild caught on June 30th in San Diego.

She has yet to build a burrow, but that's pretty normal.

I checked in on her today, and saw THIS:

Do you see that weird blister-looking thing on the right side of her abdomen? Could it be some sort of parasite?

I thought for a second that it could be a tarantula hawk larva, but then I realized that victims are usually paralyzed.

She didn't have this when I caught her (at least I don't think she did......can't really tell in the capture pictures because of all the dirt.

Anyone have any ideas??? She doesn't have it on any other part of her body, as far as I can tell......just this big blistery balloon on the right abdomen.

Anyone think they can help me? Poor girl.

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am No expert, and Don't follow my advice unless someone says its a good idea, If it is in fact filled with Puss as I am guessing it is possible to take a fine needle and see if it is drain able, now I wouldn't attempt this at all, Worse Comes to Worse it lives with a boil.:eek:

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Looks to me to be a thin spot on the abdomen wall. I would stop feeding for awhile to avoid bloating and possible bursting. Let it loose some weight and maybe it will molt it out pretty soon. I've never had that particular afliction with any of my spiders but that's what I would do if I did. Someone else might have a better solution and a better idea of what you're looking at there. One way or the other, I wouldn't feed it until someone with more knowledge chimes in. If it feeds it might be enough to open it up. I hope it's nothing serious and corrects itself. Good luck with it.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
search the T forums for this, i've heard of this before, but i forgot what they say...

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
looks a lot like a blister, some peoples' T's come through allright, but some die... i only looked at a few threads, but search for yourself in the T forums under "blister" and you'll see a few pics that look similar.

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Over on ATS, I found this THREAD

......which gave me this LINK to an AB thread.

like you said....some survive, some die.

the weird thing, is that i havent fed her since i got her.....and this thing developed on its own.

well I'll just hope for the best. she doesnt seem lethargic or sick. perfectly fine and defensive as usual!

well....we'll see.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Strange... hope she gets through this! Hope for a molt soon.