Borneo Black on the way...

Webbygale

Arachnopeon
Well! I ordered a T from Jamie's last week and was clicking between the Brazilian and Borneo, and in my drunken mishap picked the Borneo.

So, getting my first OW. I am not too worried. I could tell Jamie I made a mistake, but she said the little guy/girl molted and will be shipping it Monday. Done some research and from what I found it is very defensive and reclusive. Not a big deal because my L. hesperus are all reclusive (and venomous).

I thought I'd ask though - any pointers for a newbie with an OW besides the obvious?

Thanks!

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Well, they are much more defensive than your L. hesperus. All Latrodectus are super timid and sweet. C. sp. Borneo Black however is going to be wayyyyyy faster than Latrodectus and wayyy more flighty bitey. If I were you, I'd go with the pulchra.

Webbygale

Arachnopeon
Well, they are much more defensive than your L. hesperus. All Latrodectus are super timid and sweet. C. sp. Borneo Black however is going to be wayyyyyy faster than Latrodectus and wayyy more flighty bitey. If I were you, I'd go with the pulchra.
Thank you! I'm one of those wing it and see types. I was going to start with an OBT (stereotypical, I know). But the Borneo is so beautiful. I think if I take the right precautions I'll be fine. And I'm getting it as a sling. Jamie said it was about 1" before molt.
Can it be like a "we'll grow together" type of situation?

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Thank you! I'm one of those wing it and see types. I was going to start with an OBT (stereotypical, I know). But the Borneo is so beautiful. I think if I take the right precautions I'll be fine. And I'm getting it as a sling. Jamie said it was about 1" before molt.
Can it be like a "we'll grow together" type of situation?
Sure, I mean do what you like, but even a 1" sling is pretty dangerous. A full on wet bite could send you to the ER (depending on how you react to the venom, everyone reacts differently). Rehousing will be pretty difficult and a little crazy though lol. Hope I'm not sounding to condescending? Still, I'd go with the pulchra.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
This is just my opinion and please don't find any offense in it. I will not try to make your decision for you, it's your choice, but I have to say..

Personally, I wouldn't want to take it on, but I'm not into OW. I will say that it will "grow" faster than you, and one tiny mistake is a lost spider, which then has other obvious problems. You don't want a spider that makes you feel timid, because if it bolts, you're bit, it dies, or both. I'm sure Jamie would understand perfectly, mistakes happen, we are all human.

Now, if you do decide to take it on, I would definitely start reading every thread about that species right now. And remember, reading won't get your reflexes or nerves ready.

I would say you would want to set the enclosure up to where the T's "safe place" is far from the entrance of the enclosure itself.

Like I said personally I wouldn't do it, but it's your choice and plenty of newer people get OW and are fine, then there's always the other side of the coin.

Good luck :)

Webbygale

Arachnopeon
This is just my opinion and please don't find any offense in it. I will not try to make your decision for you, it's your choice, but I have to say..

Personally, I wouldn't want to take it on, but I'm not into OW. I will say that it will "grow" faster than you, and one tiny mistake is a lost spider, which then has other obvious problems. You don't want a spider that makes you feel timid, because if it bolts, you're bit, it dies, or both. I'm sure Jamie would understand perfectly, mistakes happen, we are all human.

Now, if you do decide to take it on, I would definitely start reading every thread about that species right now. And remember, reading won't get your reflexes or nerves ready.

I would say you would want to set the enclosure up to where the T's "safe place" is far from the entrance of the enclosure itself.

Like I said personally I wouldn't do it, but it's your choice and plenty of newer people get OW and are fine, then there's always the other side of the coin.

Good luck :)
Heck no, I appreciate the feedback. I wouldn't have posted in this place of experts otherwise.

I have definitely searched through these forums on it and everyone seems to say the same thing.

I really appreciate the advice about a "safe place". That seems like a wonderful idea for all specimen.

I'm not scared to get it, I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking a crucial element.

Webbygale

Arachnopeon
Sure, I mean do what you like, but even a 1" sling is pretty dangerous. A full on wet bite could send you to the ER (depending on how you react to the venom, everyone reacts differently). Rehousing will be pretty difficult and a little crazy though lol. Hope I'm not sounding to condescending? Still, I'd go with the pulchra.
Nah, you are right in line! I appreciate it!

I was kind of worried about rehousing once it's gets to 7-10" (or whenever it stops growing). Everything I have now won't max out that large. But I don't think it'd be difficult if I handle it with caution. I really wanted to get into Poecis one day so maybe this is a stepping stone?

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Well, then good luck with your new spider!

I'd just like to say, I don't own any Old World and I'm not in any hurry. There's a whole world of t's to own and admire that are New World (see what I did there?). From the tiny, always curious and timid Eauthlus/Homoeomma sp. red to the huge 9" average Theraphosa stirmi.

Webbygale

Arachnopeon
Well, then good luck with your new spider!

I'd just like to say, I don't own any Old World and I'm not in any hurry. There's a whole world of t's to own and admire that are New World (see what I did there?). From the tiny, always curious and timid Eauthlus/Homoeomma sp. red to the huge 9" average Theraphosa stirmi.
You are awesome, I really appreciate the feedback :)

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Nah, you are right in line! I appreciate it!

I was kind of worried about rehousing once it's gets to 7-10" (or whenever it stops growing). Everything I have now won't max out that large. But I don't think it'd be difficult if I handle it with caution. I really wanted to get into Poecis one day so maybe this is a stepping stone?
Not sure, what size it maxes out at, haven't kept this species yet.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
borneo black is super flighty and defensive with a very bad bite. if they are like L violaceopes, they are pretty delicate as slings as well. they like it moist but also need good air flow. cross vent is best IMO. they are worse then pokies IME, theyre about even in venom but a lot more defensive and skittish. IMO they are about the 3rd or fourth most advanced genus, right behind Heteroscodra and Stromatopelma. be super careful, these guys are hell to rehouse. id recommend the bag method for rehousing, depends on how experianced and comfortable you are currently. if you have ever worked with Psalmopeous, they are similar in attitude. size is pretty debatable, ive heard 7-10", but Poec54 has said thats a lie and they dont get much bigger than 7".

Webbygale

Arachnopeon
borneo black is super flighty and defensive with a very bad bite. if they are like L violaceopes, they are pretty delicate as slings as well. they like it moist but also need good air flow. cross vent is best IMO. they are worse then pokies IME, theyre about even in venom but a lot more defensive and skittish. IMO they are about the 3rd or fourth most advanced genus, right behind Heteroscodra and Stromatopelma. be super careful, these guys are hell to rehouse. id recommend the bag method for rehousing, depends on how experianced and comfortable you are currently. if you have ever worked with Psalmopeous, they are similar in attitude. size is pretty debatable, ive heard 7-10", but Poec54 has said thats a lie and they dont get much bigger than 7".
Very good advice! I really dig it. 7" doesn't seem too bad.
A few months ago I was down to get a LP, but thought against it because I wasn't a home owner at the time.
Now that I have free reign I just kind of want them all!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Very good advice! I really dig it. 7" doesn't seem too bad.
A few months ago I was down to get a LP, but thought against it because I wasn't a home owner at the time.
Now that I have free reign I just kind of want them all!
you have a pretty sizable collection right now, it will be a lot different with a OW arboreal but you should be okay as long as youre very careful and never try handling.

Webbygale

Arachnopeon
you have a pretty sizable collection right now, it will be a lot different with a OW arboreal but you should be okay as long as youre very careful and never try handling.
Noted! hopefully one day I can just have a room full of wonderful display creatures :)
That's the ultimate goal anyways.
I have a huge garage but unfortunately it gets way too cold in Oregon to house them outside. Otherwise I'd be up to 100 by now.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
From your profile, I don't think you're ready IMO. Not trying to be mean, just looking out for you. I'd probably email Jamie telling her about the mishap. I'd feel a lot better if I had experience with a Psalmo first and then after a while get the Lampropelma sp. Once again, not trying to be rude or tell you what to do, but hearing about the speed from the boards is one thing, experiencing it is a whole different beast. Good luck with whatever decision you choose!

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I really wanted to get into Poecis one day so maybe this is a stepping stone?
I've never owned a Borneo, but from what I've heard, they're much worse than pokies. I've kept 5 Poecilotherias, 3 different species, and they're all MUCH more likely to run into their hide than stand their ground. More like a Pokie would be a stepping stone to a Borneo IMO, but they're both very fast spiders and have bad venom, and are both not suitable for beginners.

I'd email Jamie and get the Pulchra, even after 3 years of having T's with multiple OW's, I still wouldn't feel comfortable with a Borneo. Nevermind if I was a beginner.

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
Watch Lampropelma rehouse videos on YouTube, there are tons. See if you think can you can deal with that.

Webbygale

Arachnopeon
Never even thought of that. This one came to mind straightaway.

I was watching that one last night and asking my husband if he'd be comfortable if something like that happened and he was okay with it.

I really appreciate all the advice from the members. I'm wondering if I get it and can't handle it I can post it here as a freebie and give it to someone who can?