Borneo Black on the way...

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The only thing is that finding out you can't handle it would probably be after it races out of it's cage or bites you. I really hope it doesn't come to that if you decide on keeping it, but it is a very likely scenario to someone who isn't experienced with confrontational and fast tarantulas.

Webbygale

Arachnopeon
The only thing is that finding out you can't handle it would probably be after it races out of it's cage or bites you. I really hope it doesn't come to that if you decide on keeping it, but it is a very likely scenario to someone who isn't experienced with confrontational and fast tarantulas.
Got it, I'll shoot her an email and ask her to change the order. The last thing I want to do is get freaked out and end up hurting it.
Thank you so much!

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm very sure you could find it a home if you need to. The only problem is, if you decide it's too fast and bitey for you, it may be difficult getting it into a shipping container...

Edit: good idea. The pulchra will be awesome

Webbygale

Arachnopeon
Thank you all so much - I just shot Jamie an email.

From what it seems I was in a too big for my britches type mindset which was the wrong way to go.

Maybe Borneo should be way way down the road..
Thank you again :)

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Thank you all so much - I just shot Jamie an email.

From what it seems I was in a too big for my britches type mindset which was the wrong way to go.

Maybe Borneo should be way way down the road..
Thank you again :)
That's a very reasonable, responsible, and respectable decision. Personally I think you're making a great choice. Just didn't want to "tell you what you can and can't do"

One thing to keep in mind, there's no rush for OW, many keepers with years of experience don't keep them, not out of fear, but out of respect, and that make you no less of a keeper.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
"Borneo Black" ? Are we talking about L.nigerrimum?

If so, wow, one of my fav. arboreals when it comes to OW's.
By far IMO better than any 'name a Pokie' you want. Females only of course u_u

Webbygale

Arachnopeon
This video is full of things one should never do when moving a T.
What I couldn't understand was why he was poking and prodding at it in the old enclosure. Wasn't he using like a hook? That's the wrong tool to be using against a T. At least imo

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What I couldn't understand was why he was poking and prodding at it in the old enclosure. Wasn't he using like a hook? That's the wrong tool to be using against a T. At least imo
I agree too, I never really agreed with anything Rob did, but I don't think he keeps T's anymore so I suppose thats good. When the spider goes into the catch cup and bolts out, it shows a good example of how unpredictable they are. But it being manhandled could've prompted it to bolt because it feared for it's safety. It was just the first video that came to mind.

I really respect your decision to get the Pulchra instead. Most times when a new hobbiest is told to get an easier spider, they get the spider anyways and ignore everyones advice. (As demonstrated many times on the boards)

Hope everything goes well for you and the pulchra, my biggest regret is selling mine. :(

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
"Borneo Black" ? Are we talking about L.nigerrimum?

If so, wow, one of my fav. arboreals when it comes to OW's.
By far IMO better than any 'name a Pokie' you want. Females only of course u_u
no, theres L. sp. borneo black and L nigerrimmum. two separate species.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's nice to see someone take good advice and make a change in their purchase once they aren't drunk.

Not a big deal because my L. hesperus
I've owned this genus. These are dainty spiders, and no comparison to the species you originally ordered. The toxicity of the venom is not the issue per se, it's the behavior of each species that is important initially when doing the comparison.

I was kind of worried about rehousing once it's gets to 7-10" (or whenever it stops growing). Everything I have now won't max out that large. But I don't think it'd be difficult if I handle it with caution. I really wanted to get into Poecis one day so maybe this is a stepping stone?
I cannot say if you would be ready or not with 100% accuracy, I'd lean on "no". However, recognize that just like NW arboreals such as Avics, OW Asian arboreals are fast growing. You would likely find yourself in a situation where your skills were outpaced by the rate of growth of this species.

IF at some point you decided to get an OW, I strongly suggest a terrestrial first from the Ceratogyrus genus.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I really want a OWT but dont know when or what to get! good luck!!!
Get one after you have significant experience in keeping an ADULT NW terrestrial T, IMO. Too many people think owning a NW sling for a couple years before it's even 3" is relevant experience; it isn't.

OW genus to start with is Ceratogyrus.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Another one to add is Orphnaecus sp Blue Panay (if you don't like Ceratogyrus). Pretty tarantula, not really defensive, on the smaller side too.
Same with I. mira. But most people don't want a pet hole, and mira is. My Ceratogyrus always came out.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
My first old word t was a Poecilatheria regalis and it is nothing like the Borneo black in terms of defensive behavior. Poecilotheria honestly get a bad rap for being some super satanic demons. They're in my opinion a lot like avics in terms of skittishness and aggression. They will run and hide more than stand and fight. Of course Avicularia venom is much less potent than that of a Poecilotheria so there is that extra degree of caution needed for them. But they are much easier to work with in terms of rehousing. Lampropelma are not as timid and are more likely to get in your face and bite if startled.

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
Same with I. mira. But most people don't want a pet hole, and mira is. My Ceratogyrus always came out.
Yeah, that's why I didn't say I.mira lol. I've had an adult female and ended up giving it to a friend a month or so ago.

My O.sp Blue Panay is out often enough.