Borne Black just won't grow

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello all. Well as the title states my sp Borneo black just won't grow. I purchased it Feb 2013 as a 1/2 in sling and it's just reached 3 inches, just. It's in my t room so it's warm, good humidity. I've fed it twice a week and no less than once a week since I've had it. Even tried feeding it 3-4 times a week but it just won't eat that much.Rehoused it to a ridiculously large enclosure. It eats, walks about it's enclosure at night stops by the pond for a drink goes back to sit on its cork till morning then gone. Anyone else with this kind of experience with this sp.?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
are you sure its a Borneo black? my 1/2" i got in early September just hit 1" yesterday..

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sure does look like one. I can't get a pic of it unless I dig up its cork and poke it out. The cork is vertical and dug deep into the sub. I will try to see if I can get a night pic.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I've never owned this particular species, but I've had a few in the past that are ridiculously slow growers for their species. I've even observed this once with sac mates - two B. vagans (both confirmed female), and one is pushing 3" while the other is a hair over 1.5". You may just be a victim of genetic circumstances.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
reminds me of my P. sazimai.. the little bugger eats like a T-rex but just won't grow :D and when it molts it looks the same as before haha :D

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I had a post similar to this a few months ago. My A. geniculata sling has gone from 1/4 inch to 3/4 inch in the 10 months I've had it. My OBT sling I got at the same time went from 1/2 inch to 3.5 inches and is in premolt again. :bored:

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As others have said it's most likely just circumstance. I have two C.marshalli sac mates that were fed and had temps the exact same, one is 3.75 inches and the other is 1.5 inches and they're both males. Some just grow different than others.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Apparently I will be waiting another 4 years for it to reach even 6 inches lol. @cold blood everyone need a little runt in their life :smug: hopefully I can get a night pic of the little bugger.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
LOL I bought a 1/2" P. regalis almost 2 years ago and yet it just molted a few days ago to about 2" even though its kept under ideal temps, food, caging, etc. and from everything Ive read this P. sp. should be alot bigger so I guess I just got a good runt of the litter...

In other words apparently this does happen once in a while and in a way you cant complain too much because its growing at a slower rate so it should live longer right? that's my theory.

Still a good picture cant hurt to help answer any questions.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
@Spidermolt we should start a runt club lol. Looked for it last night at about 3am it was not out as usual. I will get a pic just have to see it out and sneak up on it to get a pic lol.