booklung anomaly after molt, help plz

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i really hope someone can tell me what's going on with my a. geniculata...

i got her as a mature female some 3 months ago. she was already in premolt then and looking quite shabby, though there was no injury or anything on her. she refused food but drank and seemed fine otherwise.

about 2.5 weeks ago, she finally molted. everything went smoothly as far as i could see, and the exuvium looked fine.

yesterday she emerged from her burrow and i took the opportunity to pic her up and examine her more closely. she looks perfect except for her booklungs - they are of a light colour rather than dark, and seem somehow scarred. i first thought of a fungus, but they are dry and hard.

the t seems fine - she drank a bit of water and moved about for a few minutes before she retreated to her hide again. she doesn't seem wobbly or anything.

here are some pics - can anyone tell me what's wrong with her booklungs and if that's dangerous?

thnx a lot!

Last edited:

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
When they moult, the interleaved membranes of the booklungs are shed as well. What it looks like is that she failed to shed the old lining completely. If you have the exuvium still, I would examine the book lung lining (the chalk white flaps in the abdomenal section) to see if the shed parts appear complete. That's the best guess I can offer.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Sorry to hear about the problem. Lets hope she'll be able to shed those one way or the other in the near future.

If the old exo looks odd too, I'd be happy to see some pictures of that too!

Best of luck!

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i still have the exuvium and just examined it - it appears to be complete, white flps and all :confused:. i will take a pic of it when i get home this evening (the exuvium is here, my boss really wanted to see it :D).

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Well that's kinda good news I guess. Just leaves the question of what's going on :? . But since the T doesn't seem to display any abnormal behaviour let's hope it's ok and that the next moult will be as expected!

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello!

If exuvium is full it is most possibly a failure of sclerotization of the new "skin" of tarantula for some reasone...
Can't say does it will leads to any problem for the t.. time will tell..