Bonsai

Scp682

Arachnoknight
I know somebody who's been doing bonsai for 30+ years and he said the most important thing you have to know is you'll kill a hundred before you know anything.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Interestingly, I just happened to watch both of these videos the other night.
A question that arises from time to time in Zen circles; is there such a thing as coincidence?

This art forces a paradox on my thinking. I'm very much of the school of the unspiled natural world, In Situ. Yet the disciplines and patience involved in the bonsai works borders on science, art and religion all at once, that can be utterly enthralling.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
A question that arises from time to time in Zen circles; is there such a thing as coincidence?
According to the YouTube algorithm, probably not.

It's interesting that "Restoring a Neglected Chinese Juniper Bonsai" showed up in my recommended feed, as I don't have any particular knowledge of bonsai or interest in the subject (though creating miniature tree sculptures is a beautiful art).

The Snark

Old Timer
It's interesting that "Restoring a Neglected Chinese Juniper Bonsai" they showed up in my recommended feed,
That is curious. Related fields? Algorithm hiccups?

According to the YouTube algorithm, probably not.
Snerk. Science peeks over the hill only to discover the middle path was there all along. I think it's safe to say that is more than a little presumptuos, even if it could be viewed as possible.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
If you like that you should 100% look at some of Herons Bonsai on YouTube. Ya, he can be a grumpy old Japanese dude. But he knows his stuff.

The Snark

Old Timer
If you like that you should 100% look at some of Herons Bonsai on YouTube. Ya, he can be a grumpy old Japanese dude. But he knows his stuff.
I'm checking out all sorts of bonsai creations and the people behind them. So far all I've been able to piece together is for the sake of all botanical life on the planet this is a hobby I should never take up. For someone of my skills and manual dexterity, it is best viewed through a 15 X telescope. Or computer monitor.

Scp682

Arachnoknight
I'm checking out all sorts of bonsai creations and the people behind them. So far all I've been able to piece together is for the sake of all botanical life on the planet this is a hobby I should never take up. For someone of my skills and manual dexterity, it is best viewed through a 15 X telescope. Or computer monitor.
Unfortunately, you're right it takes way too much patience it takes real talent it is a very meticulous art from.

The Snark

Old Timer
Unfortunately, you're right it takes way too much patience it takes real talent it is a very meticulous art from.
It reminds me of Sis restoring engraving on antique firearms. She once spent several days peering through a magnifying lens replicating a .45 hog leg. I would have been clawing my way up a wall in an hour.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
It reminds me of Sis restoring engraving on antique firearms. She once spent several days peering through a magnifying lens replicating a .45 hog leg. I would have been clawing my way up a wall in an hour.
I feel you, @The Snark . The only bonsai I feel qualified to keep is this one:
071873DB-53A6-4D12-84D6-39A7DB370223.jpeg
yes, it’s made of Legos.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I was a bonsai apprentice for around 5yrs from a well known master here in the US, this is not something you thread into lightly, and can just spontaneously do. When I was an apprentice all I was allowed to do for the first 6mo was watch and only repot trees I started in dormancy period, and I got there in the morning, made a pot of coffee, had trees left out for me to repot and went into the semi-green house and sat and repotted trees all day. There is just sooooooo much intricacy and skills involved when dealing with trees 60-300yrs old. It is up until the end, some of the fondest times in my life, will always be. I was never paid $1 for all those yrs either other than materials and trees.