Bombing for possible Bed Bugs, suggestions needed.

kryptix

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello everyone, I live in a 1 bedroom apt almost 800 sqft. I keep my two T's in my bedroom closet ( adult female P.Ornata and MM G.Rosea).

I believe I may have bed bugs and wish to fumigate my room to see. I am worried about my T's though, would taking them out of the room and placing them the furthest place possible from my bedroom for a week or so be enough? Or should I try to find a baby sitter for a while?

Thanks for the help everyone!

SDiego

Arachnosquire
1. Bug bomb or fumigation may not kill bed bugs. I'd read up on this before you go this route, depends entirely on the method.

2. At 800 sq. ft., if you still decide to fumigate, I'd move the spiders out of your place and look for a sitter for a little bit. Don't know exactly what you have in mind, but it sounds like a fog/bomb, I'd be cautious with the spiders.

But read up on the method. If you're going for the hidden spaces via fumigation, that's the way to go. A general fogger/bomb in space won't do anything for these pests.

webbedone

Arachnobaron
I had the same problem before when i used to live in an appartment the neighbours downstairs were not very cleanly people and so i got bed bugs from them. If you are going to bomb in an appartment, look for a place for your spiders for atleast next 24 hours most of the modern sprays/bombs/poisons have neurotoxins that will paralize the insect permanently cause damage that our 8 legged friends cannot recover from. When i bombed my appartment i moved all my spiders to my buddys basement for 2 days on the third i moved my collection back in and they seem to be fine. Chances are however that the bedbugs themselves will die but their unhached eggs will survive the bombing and you will have to repeat the proccess within 1-2 weeks. And remember bedbugs dont tolerate heat well, hope this helps :)

jt39565

Arachnoknight
No advise here, just wanted to say that bedbugs give me the creeps. The first time I had any contact with them I was staying in a hotel & they actually accused me of bringing them in! Tried to make me pay to have the entire hotel fumigated! Ugh ! the hotel eventually got shutdown for harboring prostitutes & crack labs! You can see the hotel on Darryl Worley's video "Love Thing" its in Nashville, TN

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bedbugs are a real pain to get rid of. I've had dealings with them bloodsuckers in a homeless shelter where I was managing.

Your best bet, if you are able to, is to find a night where it's going to go below freezing. Move the t's to a friends for a night, leave all windows open and freeze them to death. Freezing will kill them. Most pesticides don't. If they are limited to your bed, move your bed outside into the freezing cold. Freeze them.

If you're determined to bomb, make sure you use caulking or tape to seal up any and all cracks and crevices in the walls, outlets, etc. These little vampires will make use of them if you don't. I also guarantee you that if you do have bedbugs, it will take more than one application of strong pesticide to be rid of them. In my case, at the shelter, I had to first convince my superiors of the seriousness of the problem. Then I had to work with the pest control services to make sure they were eradicated. It took several expensive treatments in several different rooms. Took a while, but they were finally taken out. It would have been easier just moving the beds outside and allowing them to freeze overnight, except for the fact that they were wooden bunk beds that would have to have been disassembled. My superiors opted for the pesticides.

Oh, and an afterthought, freezing them out of your apartment could lead them to someone else's if you don't tape up any possible escape routes. Also, placing a bed outside in the freezing cold should be done a far enough distance from the actual building you live in so that the little living undeads can't beat feet back into the building.

Rue

Arachnoknight
Heat treatment is the recommended 'non-chemical' approach.

Problem is it costs more...and you still have to move out.

Either way...if your apartment building is infested...you'll have recurring issues. Talk to the manager first.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
in Iraq we used a product developed by a company called CedarCide. for protection against sand fleas in the as a spray on, in tents and mobiles. Stuff worked really well. Give it a shot as well.... but don't it anywhere near your T's or anything that would be near your T's!

CedarCide

Beatlesdork

Arachnopeon
I've been dealing with bedbugs for the last 2 months. We resorted to pesticides and got 2 treatments (my Ts were relocated to my brother's) I haven't seen any in the past 2 weeks so I think they might be gone... How long should I wait until moving my T's back into my apartment that got bug bombed?

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
I live in an apartment complex and some neighbors brought bedbugs into our apartment a couple years ago. We used diatomaceous earth on our furniture and carpets and never had an issue with them again. Diatomaceous earth dessicated them by making microscopic cuts and leaching out their hemolymph, and it's impossible for them to be immune to it.

Of course, this was before I started keeping spiders, so I'd definitely find a babysitter for a few days to a week or so (depending on how bad the infestation is), in order for it to work, and then clean up any residue because diatomaceous earth would do the same to your spiders as it would to the bedbugs if it somehow got into their enclosures.

But again, I've not used it since getting my Ts, so other treatments, like heat, may be a better option for invert keepers than diatomaceous earth.

Edit: just realized I got roped into thread necromancy lol.

I've been dealing with bedbugs for the last 2 months. We resorted to pesticides and got 2 treatments (my Ts were relocated to my brother's) I haven't seen any in the past 2 weeks so I think they might be gone... How long should I wait until moving my T's back into my apartment that got bug bombed?
I would deep clean the whole place to remove any possible residue before bringing them back home, but that's just me, and I tend to be a bit overly cautious at times. I would at least do the room they will be kept in, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ilich

Arachnosquire
Having family members who have experienced bed bugs multiple times, your best bet is to coat the furniture with chemicals and leave them out in the sun to sit for several days. Hopefully that'll kill them, but even then they've been known to survive.

edit: did not notice how old this post was, oops.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
My understanding is that the best way to get rid of bed bugs is not with chemicals, but rather with heat treatments...where they super heat the residence. Also significantly safer for you and your pets...ts included.

Ilich

Arachnosquire
My understanding is that the best way to get rid of bed bugs is not with chemicals, but rather with heat treatments...where they super heat the residence. Also significantly safer for you and your pets...ts included.
Stick the furniture out in the hot desert sun, only real way I know how to do it. Maybe that's just the hillbilly edition.