Bold isopod species

plumduff

Arachnopeon
I had fun keeping a box of wild caught P. Scaber on my desk over the winter. They went through a ton load of alder leaves and bred like crazy. I released them once the weather warmed up again. I have found that I miss the little beasties and have discovered that many beautiful species are available. My question is for those that keep them: which species do you find most bold, surface active? I am making a guess in thinking that something like A. Maculatum that is said to like slightly dryer conditions may have to spend less time hiding in humid places. Would love peoples thoughts on this. Since I will be keeping only for fun something that is more visible would be good.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A. maculatum is a good choice...attractive, hardy, and quite prolific! Most species are surface active in the dark, but one thing I have noticed is that once you have a large colony, you are much more likely to see some activity during the day. You may only see a small proportion of the isopods, but if you have 300 and you see thirty, that's certainly enough to be interesting. That seems true for all but the most secretive species. Most become bolder once they realize you've fed them as well...day or night.

plumduff

Arachnopeon
Yes I noticed this with my Scabers - the more there were the more I saw of them during the day. I am glad that you think A. Maculatum is a good choice as they look great. Any tips? Temperature? Am a little confused by the "slightly dryer" recommendations. Do you spray one corner of their container only - or is it a case of more through ventilation?

plumduff

Arachnopeon
I just found your care video on this species. Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks.