Boehmei: Male or Female??!

darkness_falls8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
HEY!
I got the molt from my Boehmei's cage today, it finally moved after sitting on it for a week! RYAN OR SOMEONE, please tell me the sex of it! THANK YOU!

Molt:

Hungry little bugger/After molt:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yep your welcome. You did a pretty good job softening that molt once you got it. What did you use?

darkness_falls8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank you.
I took the molt out and put it in a small jar filled about a qaurter of the way up with water, left it in there for about 10 minutes, then I took it out and took a paint brush and brushed more water and then slowly opened it with the two brushes.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just water huh, I am going to have to try that. I used rubbing alcohol and don't get anywhere near that good when I try to unfold dry molts.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I use water and washing up liquid. Works perfectly.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The tiniest drop of soap is all you need in some water to get the job done. It's always worked for me.

And congrats on your girl! Molts don't get anymore definitive than that.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just water huh, I am going to have to try that. I used rubbing alcohol and don't get anywhere near that good when I try to unfold dry molts.
Ryan, thats all I've use as well. I use to use water and a little bit of soap, but I then found out that water works just as good.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yep, a very beautiful little lady. You are lucky, mine is a boy!!!!!!! :(

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
question??

Someone help me out here. i thought i was getting a handle on this sexing thing but now i find myself getting even more confused. When i look at the picture of this T, i am pretty sure i am looking at the same part everyone else is when they call this particular T a female. However, the other day i was re-reading the Sexing for Dummies thread and got confused again.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showpost.php?p=802439&postcount=60

When i look at this particular pic i would swear i also see the same parts i would normally use to identify the T as female. However, i also can see where the poster is talking about the noticible epiandrous fusillae on the reverse side. This N. chromatus in the pic had its ultimate molt and was in fact male. What are those little flaps i am seeing in that pic? What is the difference in the flaps in the N. chromatus pic and the flap in the B. boehmei pic? How would a complete novice like myself actually know if the flaps they are looking at are an indication of the T being male or female? My MM B. smithi had NO flap?? Why am i so confused?? :?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok I will try to make it as simple as I can. Males don't have flaps. BUT can sometimes have little tiny tiny false flaps I like to call them. But they look nothing like the flap of a female, not nearly as defined. Plus the other factor is each flap (known as the spermathecae) are shaped different from species to species. Some are fused and some are not. But for the most part so long as there is a flap that can be lifted its a female, if there is no flap and nothing can be moved and it just looks flat then you have a boy. Here are the best two pics I can come up with from my photobucket showing you what I am talking about. And they are smithi,
NOTICE THE SHAPE DIFFERENCE EVEN WITHIN THE SAME GENUS. HIS PICTURE OF THE BOEHMEI spermathecae LOOKS DIFFERENT THEN THE SMITHIS.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow Female All the WAY!!! Man I am so happy for you. I had a B. boehmei that turned out to be a boy. (3") Returned it to dealer and got a second chance. Hoping for a molt like that!!! The new B. boehmei is in premolt now, has the blackest abdomen and I'm so wishing to get lucky this time. Its from the same egg sac and my Male molted last week so I'm thinking the end of this week I will have the news from my new one. What size is the Molt?

ahas

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks for the links Amanda. Very helpful. :)

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
When i look at this particular pic i would swear i also see the same parts i would normally use to identify the T as female. However, i also can see where the poster is talking about the noticible epiandrous fusillae on the reverse side. This N. chromatus in the pic had its ultimate molt and was in fact male. What are those little flaps i am seeing in that pic? What is the difference in the flaps in the N. chromatus pic and the flap in the B. boehmei pic? How would a complete novice like myself actually know if the flaps they are looking at are an indication of the T being male or female? My MM B. smithi had NO flap?? Why am i so confused??
This article should clear things up a bit...

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=84086

Bill