Body movement

Scott1976

Arachnopeon
Hi ove just bought a mexican red knee female juvinile she comes out of her cave only at night she turns around lifts her back body up and moves around in circles then gos back in her cave. Can anyone tell me what shes doing or why. Thanks

jaycied

Arachnoknight
She's just laying down web. A lot of T's get more active at night. Pictures? She could be laying down a molting mat.

sasker

Arachnoprince
Tarantulas are nocturnal so it is normal to see them mainly active at night. If you just bought your Brachypelma hamorii, you can expect some 'atypical' behaviour as the spider needs to settle in first. Does your tarantula eat at all?

Scott1976

Arachnopeon
Tarantulas are nocturnal so it is normal to see them mainly active at night. If you just bought your Brachypelma hamorii, you can expect some 'atypical' behaviour as the spider needs to settle in first. Does your tarantula eat at all?

Scott1976

Arachnopeon
Ive put them maggot type bugs in which was highy recommended by the pet shop not crickets as i was told that they can nip her but ive not actually witnessed her eating as her food is always in her cave

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Ive put them maggot type bugs in which was highy recommended by the pet shop not crickets as i was told that they can nip her but ive not actually witnessed her eating as her food is always in her cave
Are you referring to superworms or mealworms? Be wary of petshop advice, its nearly always off. Mealworms and supers can certainly chew on a molting T, if she's not interested in eating right away remove them, don't leave them under her hide with her.

Scott1976

Arachnopeon
Are you referring to superworms or mealworms? Be wary of petshop advice, its nearly always off. Mealworms and supers can certainly chew on a molting T, if she's not interested in eating right away remove them, don't leave them under her hide with her.

Scott1976

Arachnopeon
Superworms ive already taken them out. Ill just keep a close eye on her. Thank you so much for the advice when i can ill stick a pic of her on here

sasker

Arachnoprince
Knowing my B. hamorii, she will immediately attack the food if she is hungry. Of course individuals vary, but this species is known to be good eaters. By the way, you don't need to put the food in her hide if you are feeding her (I was not sure if I understood this correctly, but it sounded as if this is how you feed her). It is best to put food out in the open in front of her hide, on top of the patch where she put silk on the ground, so she can sense the movement of the prey. If prey items get away too quickly and dig into the substrate, try squeezing the heads of the food items before presenting them to the spider.

Just another tip: on this board you can write under the message that you quoted without having to create a new post ;)

Scott1976

Arachnopeon
Can you use just dessert reptile sand for substrate for a mexican red knee ???????

Storm1028

Arachnosquire
Can you use just dessert reptile sand for substrate for a mexican red knee ???????
You can, but most keepers dont recomend it. I personally dont mind it because I usually mix sand with excavator burrowing clay substrate (1:1) for semi arid and arid species (ex: Chromatopelma, Ceratogyrus, etc.) Also, if you use sand, it is very loose and unstable for burrows. If you want to go with the sand and clay mixture, just be sure to add less water than the recommended amount and dont pack the mixture down as hard since it will harden when it dries. Good luck! :)

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Desert sand is terrible substrate for a B.hamorii, or pretty much any T for that matter. I have heard of some people using it as an additive to mix in with eco earth or peat moss, even then it's a very slight amount. I would never house a T on pure sand...

ThisMeansWAR

Arachnosquire
Hi ove just bought a mexican red knee female juvinile she comes out of her cave only at night she turns around lifts her back body up and moves around in circles then gos back in her cave. Can anyone tell me what shes doing or why. Thanks
If it is right outside of her burrow it is probably a silk mat to improve her chances of registering prey that passes by.