• The Review forums are closed to new reviews.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reviews.

Information on how to use our new Reviews section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Bob's Feathered Friends (Port Richey, Fl.)

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Positive

My experience here, although not without flaw, was better than most stores ive entered. The arachnid selection was larger than average, and a woman on the staff there seemed to know the basics. My only quarrel was the lack of proper substrate, all the T's were living on a thin layer consisting only of sphagnum moss, even the trap door spiders. Otherwise everything was decent, i even bought a Rose Hair, for my gf's first T. (yes ive converted her from arachnophobe to arachnophile heheheh.)

Boo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I live in Hudson and get my feeders from them. I refuse to rescue any more T's. Their T's are kept on bark chips, dead prey never removed , gross nasty black, bacteria infested sponges, live prey not remove during a molt, Bright, hot heat lamps above them and they manhandle the poor things getting them out of the enclosure. I recently purchased a P. irminia that lost a leg. I went in to purchase the P. irminia sling. They didn't tell me until after they remove it from the enclosure that it had just molted a few hours before. I would have been happy to return if they would have asked me to come back in a week so it had time to recup.
I have several of their T's that I have resuced. I refuse to rescue anymore as I think this is encouraging them to keep them stocked and in this condition. I have made little suggestions to them over the past few months and they have all but ignored me.

I haven't figured out how to do the quotey thing after I started a post.........
"T's were living on a thin layer consisting only of sphagnum moss"
When was the last time you were in this store ?

Last edited:

Amoeba

Arachnolord
I would not ever buy any arachnid from them. Every single T and Scorp is in the smallest kritter keeper made. They obviously couldn't be bothered to put enough coco fiber in (especially for what is labeled "Cobalt Blue") They do not know the scientific names even if you ask. They at least use bottle caps for water dishes, but hey at least they have a good selection right (2 G rosea (Normal and Brown) Paraphysa spp (I guess parvula but it's labeled Chilean Copper so maybe a really scabby scrofa) , Avic something, OBT, Something labeled "Cobalt Blue" it's too stressed to even see if it is a Haplopelma I've also seen a P. irminia . As well as Emps (P. imperator) Desert Hairys (H. arizonensis) and I think they might have had a Centruroides spp. At least there is enough sense where they have "CAUTION!" written on the OBT's micro kritter keeper.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The OBT was the only one in there who seemed to be ok with her setup. I went there today and took a couple pictures:

Funny, this was posted outside, above their door:

The staff was friendly enough and the other animals (rodents, reptiles, birds, fish) seemed to be kept in decent condition.

Anyway, I wouldn't buy anything from them, ever.

JC50

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would not buy any tarantulas from them because they do not take care of their animals properly.They had a mature male P.irminia for sale and were asking $89.00 for it knowing it was mature.I said something to the staff and they acted like they knew and would fix the problem but kept it on the shelf for the same outrageous price not caring that they were selling a spider that might be dead soon.That to me is some shady business practice.

Silenus

Arachnopeon
Neutral/Positive

Many of the things prior posters have said regarding the conditions of the T's are correct, and there are few employees who know anything in regards to the care of tarantulas. There was an MM that was "looking for love" which was for sale at a rather high price, but the employees who did undertand tarantula husbandry and care suggested to avoid purchasing that tarantula. To be fair the employees have little control over the prices of any of the animals or the conditions they are being kept in (though the more knowledgable associates do take the best possible care of the animals), the conditions and prices are set by the owner (Bob), who runs the shop with the same goal of any business, to turn a profit.

I do have to give a lot of credit to two of their employees (whose names start with an S and a C, respectively), their combined knowledge on reptiles and tarantulas really helped me get setup with my first and second T's.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The last time I went there, several weeks ago, I pointed out to one of their employees that three out of four of their tarantulas were mature males, and would probably not live more than another 6 months.

Regardless of whether or not the goal is to turn a profit, any company should be knowledgeable about the product(s) they are selling. If you don't know the first thing about tarantulas, don't sell tarantulas.

When you go to Home Depot, you expect the person in Garden to know about gardening and horticulture, within reason. No, you don't expect them to be experts but you expect them to be able to offer advice.

Pet shops, in my opinion, not only should be no different, they should be even better because you are dealing with living, breathing animals.

All that happens when I go to Bob's is I get frustrated. I make a point to avoid it.