Boa constrictors?

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Are there any boas that stay under 5 feet in length? And are fairly docile? And don't need super high humidity?

I'm still researching snakes, I've decided my first one will be a Children's Python, but I also would like to know more about Boas. I really like the look of the Brazilian Rainbow Boa, but I found out it needs quite high humidity and I don't feel that would be a good one for me. I can't get a snake for a while but I'm trying to learn all I can before that time does come.:)

Oh, and are there any books for boa and python care that anyone can recommend? Or just general snake care?

Brian F.

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I still like rosy boas. Docile, eat like pigs, and stay pretty small, plus several different localities to choose from.

There's also Kenyan sand boas as well. Good luck.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Rubber boa! South Mountain Reptiles always has some. They're the only snake species I've heard of that can be kept together with pretty much no problems. Also very cute. :D

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Thank you for the suggestions. Are Rosy boas, Kenyan Sand boas and Rubber boas all burrowing species? I would like to be able to see the snake, but I guess it wouldn't be too bad if it was a burrower.

Other question, if large snakes are really smelly after they do there business, are small snakes smelly too?

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
they can all smell bad after their "business" just clean up as soon as you notice it and the smell doesnt linger. Ive had snakes that have gone and i wasnt able to clean it up till the next day (not recommended unless you really cant) and even the next day after cleaning up, no smell lingered really.

Male Hogg Island boas tend to remain smaller on average tending to be 3-5'. Though all of the boas (im not including sand, rosy, rubber boas in that statement because ive never kept them) require good humidity. But if you have the right tank (just no screen tops) its a simple as a nice large water dish, nothing else needed really.

secular

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
in my experience so far with my kenyan sand boa, she spends mostly all of her time underneath the substrate. you'll see her head and eyes just poking up. at night i'll catch her out exploring sometimes, usually if she's hungry.

once you dig her up she is fun to handle. the eyes are expressive. she's still small i've had her barely 1 year.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Thank you for the replies everyone! I looked at Rosy boa pictures and I quite like the look of them.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Wow, those snakes are really beautiful! How is their temperament? I would definitely consider one of those, but I wonder if there are any availiable in Canada at all?

SPJ

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Awesome temperament even in blue.
Ron imports/exports so shipping to Canada should not be a problem. You'd be the first person in Canada to get this locale since all the others have been sold in the US.:D

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Those are really beautiful, I will definitely look into those more. It won't be for a little while that I get one, have to get into a house first. But I will save that dealers website for when I am ready. Thank you very much for the information and the picture, one more question though, what do they feed on when they are adult? Full grown rats? Are they finicky eaters at all?

SPJ

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My largest one is on rat fuzzies.
You'll never need large rats for these. Smalls will be fine.

tarantulakeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here's my male Cay Caulker. His name is Satchel and he's two years old. These are wonderful boas. John

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
That's a really nice looking snake too! So many to choose from! I like both of those species.:)

zyphonix223

Arachnosquire
To be honest, Brazilian rainbow boas do not need such high humidity. I keep my at around 60% and a humidity box and she has perfect sheds. They are docile, good eaters grow to a nice size and are slim. :)