bluetongue skink update

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Amazing the different 4 months can make!

Pre shed

Post shed(back lightens up significantly)

roach going down the hatch

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What a beautiful little lizard. Which species is that? We only have the easternmost species where I live.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What a beautiful little lizard. Which species is that? We only have the easternmost species where I live.
This is Tiliqua scincoides intermedia, the Northern Australian bluetongue. Same species as you see in Brisbane but occuring further North in Australia(Darwin, Kimberley plateau, etc.).

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's a very nice lizard.I would like one but my house is getting a bit full of critters.I would have to get rid of one to get another almost.But I am not going to that.Every thing I got are my favorite :}:}:}

Krippschick

Arachnopeon
I've got a blue tongued too.Her name is Stella.
I freakin love your Halmahera!!!!!!!!!! I want one sooooo bad. She is the most beautiful skink I have seen yet. I have 2 of my own, but am searching for one like yours. You are soooo lucky!

Alireza

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank you so much!
She is quite intelligant, docile and kind too. would you put pics of your owns too?

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Now all we need is a Tanimbar, An Eastern, and a Kei island to show all the commonly available species in the US!

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is Tiliqua scincoides intermedia, the Northern Australian bluetongue. Same species as you see in Brisbane but occuring further North in Australia(Darwin, Kimberley plateau, etc.).
Ahh, see here we have T scincoides scincoides, usually a bit more drab but I saw a stunningly orange one in the backyard this past week. I'll have to take some pictures of the next one I find.

Krippschick

Arachnopeon
@Alireza- I feed things like Kale, Collard greens, or bok choy, mixed with different squash types, a little stawberry or other fruit, then mix all of that with a bit high quality cat food (soft kind) They eat the veggies better with it all mixed in, because they like the cat food. I dont know of many people who feed mushrooms. I also feed snails, and cooked egg for proteins. Not sure if you have any of these choices available where you live. Your beauty looks quite healthy from the pic. They are awesome arent they.:)

Alireza

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank you so much! I'll try it and will give you the results.

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Now all we need is a Tanimbar, An Eastern, and a Kei island to show all the commonly available species in the US!
I'd be surprised if you could find actual easterns in the US. A few are still produced each year, but they're not common. Most the time it is and IJ that someone has mislabeled.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
At least one breeder(Ray Gurgui) is producing Easterns so they are out there.(though the chances of finding one in the hands of someone who did not know and appreciate this are very slim). Recently a few Easterns with eyebands(the typical blueys most Aussies are familiar with) made their way over here from a group of babies born in Europe but it will be a long time before we see them. If we start talking about those we might as well mention blotched blueys and shinglebacks also.

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
At least one breeder(Ray Gurgui) is producing Easterns so they are out there.(though the chances of finding one in the hands of someone who did not know and appreciate this are very slim). Recently a few Easterns with eyebands(the typical blueys most Aussies are familiar with) made their way over here from a group of babies born in Europe but it will be a long time before we see them. If we start talking about those we might as well mention blotched blueys and shinglebacks also.
Definitely out there and we're working on getting them. Just the paperwork sucks for getting shinglebacks from Europe. Hopefully by the end of this year we'll have some.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That would be neat. It is a shame that it seems very few people are having much success breeding them. Majority out there are single males.

If prices ever came down to my level(or I suddenly had a windfall of cash) I'd love to get a few blotched bluetongues.