Blue

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

One of the best color blues I've ever seen.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

One of the best color blues I've ever seen.
Why is it blue ? Does the virus hurt it?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
No surprise with that blue color

You’d think another set of species would have that genus name like Avics
Didn’t yeh A Versi go to another genus ? I had one once it fell and died post molt, in a Very short container so I think it had a wet molt . Love those blue Ts but all mine are bland now lol well except l klugi , and phampho.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Didn’t yeh A Versi go to another genus ? I had one once it fell and died post molt, in a Very short container so I think it had a wet molt . Love those blue Ts but all mine are bland now lol well except l klugi , and phampho.
It’s been Caribena versicolor for a few years now

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yep not Irido

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Why is it blue ? Does the virus hurt it?
Invertebrate pathologist here.

I'd need to do some sequencing to be sure, but that is probably IIV-31, or something closely related.

Iridioviruses basically take over all the tissues in an organism. They don't liquefy their hosts like baculoviruses, instead they just kind of take over and hang out. As Viper pointed out, infection is fatal.

Iridoviruses are blue because the virions form crystals and refract light through them. What you're seeing isn't pigment, it's structural coloration just like the blue in P. metallica or H. lividium.

I haven't read up on them for awhile, but I don't think we know much about them. What receptors they bind to, how they get into the cell (probably endocytosis), how they take over the cell...all largely undescribed.

paumotu

Arachnobaron
I read somewhere that a similar, though not deadly form of this virus affects the blue crayfish popular in aquaria

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
but I don't think we know much about them. What receptors they bind to, how they get into the cell (probably endocytosis), how they take over the cell...all largely undescribed.
Paraphrased comments, physicists at Cal Tech;
"The more we learn about a subject the more we realize what we don't know."
"We manage to climb to a high promontory only to get a better view of a vast mountain range that extends to the horizon."
"At this rate we will eventually know a little something about almost nothing at all."