Blue roaches? Where can I find them!!

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
IMG_1576.JPG Hey everyone,

I found some images on Google of some unbelievable roaches. Of course, we should definitely trust EVERYTHING on the interneto_O

But let's say they ARE real. Since I don't know anything about roaches. Where can I get my hands on these? Anyone have info or knowledge on the matter?

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Best bet, especially in the US, is to travel to where they are native and collect WC specimen. Never seen a species of roach with such a vivid blue, but I'm almost positive they aren't common in the roach trade. Especially in the states. I wish I could find Corydidarium magnifica, an iridescent dark green roach from areas in Vietnam (I believe). Mega rare, there are very few people that have them even in Europe. Gorgeous species in that pic, but it is most likely not near common in the hobby. Wish they were though... ;)

Edit: Found the pic, but there are no scientific names or data or any "blue roach". Only thing that pops up is in the allpetroaches forum on a blue panchlora looking species.

Last edited:

RTTB

Arachnoprince
That is a brilliant blue roach. I had no idea they existed until now.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Aww, SO wanted it to be real... :arghh: :rofl: Just on the subject, don't want to hijack ghe thread, but are there any roach species with such vivid blue coloration?

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Yeah, someone was sharing the altered photo on Facebook, had to show them the original one there as well.

This beauty is real though, an unidentified, probably undescribed species of Panchlora:

Unfortunately not in culture yet, but maybe one day...

I wish I could find Corydidarium magnifica, an iridescent dark green roach from areas in Vietnam (I believe). Mega rare, there are very few people that have them even in Europe. Gorgeous species in that pic, but it is most likely not near common in the hobby. Wish they were though... ;)
Oh they are in the US, trust me... ;)

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Saw that blue guy while searching for the fake, so pretty! Also, C. magnifica are in culture!? Probably either hidden away for culturing or exhorbanently expensive. Their deep emerald and glossy exo is too much!

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Saw that blue guy while searching for the fake, so pretty! Also, C. magnifica are in culture!? Probably either hidden away for culturing or exhorbanently expensive. Their deep emerald and glossy exo is too much!
Yeah, would love for someone to collect some and bring them into the hobby! :D

Yes, people in the US and Europe are breeding Corydidarum magnifica, and if all goes well I'll be getting some this year. :D Indeed, no one has actually put a price tag on this species yet, they are only available by trading for other rare species.

They are somewhat difficult to breed, like Corydidarum pygmaea, and due to their slow growth and reproduction rates they'll probably stay rare in the hobby for quite a while, just like C.pygmaea.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
If you do get them, make a vid! Tried looking up first hand accounts of care or just IRL adult handling/pics, but the only one is in German :( Hope they breed well for you, there are so many cool roach species not even in the hobby yet!

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
If you do get them, make a vid! Tried looking up first hand accounts of care or just IRL adult handling/pics, but the only one is in German :( Hope they breed well for you, there are so many cool roach species not even in the hobby yet!
Will do, my camera ain't the best when it comes to videos though, just a head's up. :p Yeah, I've seen that video, by "Cockroach TV", right? Very little info out there about them ATM, I'm just assuming their care needs are similar to that of C.pygmaea. Thanks, really hope I'll be getting them soon! :D

Francois Storm

Arachnopeon
Yeah, someone was sharing the altered photo on Facebook, had to show them the original one there as well.

This beauty is real though, an unidentified, probably undescribed species of Panchlora:

Unfortunately not in culture yet, but maybe one day...

Oh they are in the US, trust me... ;)
Good afternoon, myself an a colleague (Andries van Tonder) are working in Suriname and we actually found one of these Blue Panchlora Roaches, we at the time did not realize the scarcity of this insect, but we took a couple of snaps!

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
I wish I could find Corydidarium magnifica, an iridescent dark green roach from areas in Vietnam (I believe). Mega rare, there are very few people that have them even in Europe.
In Europe, they don't even seem to be that rare. Of course, they aren't common, but I see them for sale pretty frequently.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Good afternoon, myself an a colleague (Andries van Tonder) are working in Suriname and we actually found one of these Blue Panchlora Roaches, we at the time did not realize the scarcity of this insect, but we took a couple of snaps!
I think we've actually talked before, on INaturalist, (I have the same username there). :)