Blue Peruvian tarantula confusion

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Confusion over the blue tarantula labels from Peru is nothing new. Going back to the early 2000's when Thrixopelma cyaneolum & Homoeomma sp. blue were first introduced to the U.S. hobby the confusion started. It becomes difficult for newcomers to the hobby to research old threads, when they are unfamiliar with the different names that these spider have been sold under over the years. Recently a few new blue tarantulas have been introduced into the hobby from Peru, and I'm getting a lot of questions about them as the mess continues to grow. The purpose of this thread is to have a quick pictorial breakdown of what's out there, and a quick link to send to people instead of address each individual question that I get asked. By no means am a taxonomist. These are just my opinions based mostly on what I've seen myself, researched or have been told. I encourage anyone to add to this thread if they feel something is incorrect, or you have something to add that has been missed.

Homoeomma sp. Blue - This spider has been around for a long time. It can grow to about 7 inches, and in my experience the blue can become quite dark with age. I've seen them confused with Lasiodorides striatus in the past because of this. This spider at one point in time was labeled as Homoeomma sp. Blue "large" to differentiate it from Thrixopelma cyaneolum, which at the time was being sold as Homoeomma sp. Blue "small" The "large" tag has since been dropped since Thrixopelma cyaneolum was described making the "small/large" labels irrelevant. This spider has also been traded under the name Euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi which I haven't seen used in years, as I don't think that name is even valid for any spider anymore. It's unlikely that this spider is a Homoeomma species at all, but it's still the most common label that its sold under in the pet trade.
P1010007 (2).jpg

Thrixopelma cyaneolum - This is a smaller spider that reaches about 3-4 inches. Originally sold in the pet trade as Homoeomma sp. Blue "small"
92171.jpg

Thrixopelma lagunas
- Visually to me, this spider is almost Identical to what is sold as Homoeomma sp. Blue. From what I understand they get about the same size. Although looking quite similar in appearnce, there appears to be some morphological differences with their reproductive structures. See this link from @c.h.esteban.
104197.jpg

Thrixopelma sp. Blue - This spider popped up recently as wild caught adults labeled as Thrixopelma cyaneolum. They do get about the same size of 3-4 inches and are likely closely related or a regional variation of Thrixopelma cyaneolum. The most noticeable difference is the lack of red abdominal hairs that is seen in Thrixopelma cyaneolum. A recent import from Peru has got some captive bred spiderlings circulating around the U.S. now. You may also see these labeled as Thrixopelma sp. "dwarf Blue" ( Photo courtesy by Christine Tarkowski)
image0.jpeg

Theraphosinae sp. blue - This is a new species to the U.S. that can grow to about 7 inches. There's not many in circulation and that are a bit pricey. Notice this spider is not labeled Thrixopelma and rather being called by the sub family name Theraphosinae. I've had multiple people read the name fast and confuse it with Thrixoplema. It should not be confused with the other spider being sold as Thrixopelma sp Blue, as they are very different. (Photo courtesy by the Peruvian exporter).
image1.jpeg

I hope this clears up some of the confusion with the labels of the new spiders in he hobby. Hopefully one day we can get some properly described species names on them to help clarify things. Until then, good luck keeping your labels straight lol.

Later, Tom

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
This is extremely helpful. I was one of the people who totally misread Theraphosinae sp Blue are Thrixopelma sp Blue. The pictures and explanations fill in a lot of missing pieces in my brain. Much appreciated

c.h.esteban

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi Tom,
a short note to the pictures in the link.

The picture of the T. lagunas spermathecae is from the descripition (SCHMIDT & RUDLOFF 2010).
After the examination of the lagunas paratypes i can say they fits to this picture.
But till now i never ever see these shape in adult females of the so called "T. lagunas" from the pet trade.

The picture of the lagunas bulb are also from the descrition. In fact it was was taken from a bad angle.
A better picture from the lagunas holotype you can found in Sherwood, D., Gabriel, R., Kaderka, R., Lucas, S. M. & Brescovit, A. D. (2021c). Stabilizing a chaotic taxonomy: redescription and redefinition of the genera Lasiodorides Schmidt & Bischoff, 1997 and Thrixopelma Schmidt, 1994 (Araneae: Theraphosidae). Arachnology 18(8): 893-917.

That means, if we cant find these combination of the male bulb and female spermathecae at the pet trade "lagunas", so we cant diagnose them as T. lagunas.

And finaly the picture in the last line are from the male holotype and female paratype of Thrixopelma longicolli.

Greetings Steffen

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Mofi

Arachnopeon
Sadly it's already <edit> here in Europe. The above mentioned Thrixopelma sp blue has been sold as Thrixopelma cyaneolum. There's already a different spider in the hobby (search for pictures for Theraphosinae sp woolly Sunkist, that's the one I'm talking about) sold as Thrixopelma sp blue, while the above mentioned Theraphosinae sp blue is sold as Thrixopelma sp blue Jean. It's a mess, everything getting labeled as Thrixopelma without proper research

Last edited by a moderator:

c.h.esteban

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There's already a different spider in the hobby (search for pictures for Theraphosinae sp woolly Sunkist, that's the one I'm talking about) sold as Thrixopelma sp blue, while the above mentioned Theraphosinae sp blue is sold as Thrixopelma sp blue Jean. It's a mess, everything getting labeled as Thrixopelma without proper research
But what is wrong with the classification of sp JAÈN to the genus Thrixopelma?

c.h.esteban

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A few more comments and explanations about the species mentioned here.

"Homoeomma sp. BLUE / BLUE PERU II" = T. longicolli
As I wrote earlier, these animals belong to the genus Thrixopelma.
If there are no mix-ups and the shape of the bulbs and the spermathecae match the pictures linked above (tips of the receptacula bent outwards), it is Thrixopelma longicolli.
See also:

Thrixoplema cyaneolum
Nothing to add, as Tom already described.

Thrixopelma lagunas
The type is defined by the shape of the spermathecae, which differs significantly from that of T. longicolli (simply domed receptacula) and by a smaller difference in the PI on the male bulb.
The spermatheque shape described has not yet been found in adult females that are offered in pet shops as "lagunas". A confirmation that these animals are lagunas in the sense of the description is therefore not possible (see note above).

Thrixopelma sp. BLUE
Has not yet been examined by me.

Theraphosinae sp. BLUE

Theraphosinae sp. WOOLLY SUNKIST
If I remember correctly, the funny name was given by José.
An adult male also from Peru (WC), which corresponded in color and the hairy carapace to the pictures of José, could be examined. Based on the urticating setae, shape of the bulb and the tibial apophysis, it was assigned to the genus Thrixoplema.

Theraphosinae sp. JAÈN
An adult male was examined. Based on the urticating setae, shape of the Bulb and the tibial apophysis, it was assigned to the genus Thrixoplema.

arthurliuyz

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter +
Thrixopelma sp. BLUE
Sorry to revive this thread, but have these been reclassified to be a variation of T cyaneolum? Was looking to get a few but it was listed as T cyaneolum BCF while the one with the red abdomen, commonly known as just T cyaneolum, was listed as T cyaneolum RCF, which made me wonder.

c.h.esteban

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Now i examined a exuviae of one female which was labeled as T. cyaneolum but has not the long red setae which are a feature according to SCHMIDT.

Theraphosinae sp. "Thrixopelma cyaneolum"

Material

• 1 female, Exuviea, carapace length ca. 15 mm, carapace is missing
  • The specimen was labeled as "T. cyaneolum" in pet trade.
  • Detailed information on the place of origin is not available.
  • Abdomen without longer red setae.

Description (only main features)
  • Urtication setae typ III + IV present
  • Maxilla without stridulatory setae or lyra
  • Coxal spinules present
  • Coxa of leg I lacking stridulatory setae
  • Trochanter of leg I lacking stridulatory setae
  • Femur IV without pad of plumose stridulatory setae on retrolateral face
  • Palpal trochanter lacking stridulatory setae
  • Palpal femur without pad of plumose setae on prolateral face
  • Tarsi I–IV with one pair of tarsal claws with medial serration on each claw
  • one claw on palpal tarsi
  • Tarsi I–II ventral fully scopulae
  • Tarsi III–IV with divided scopula (band of setae)
  • Spermathecae with two separate hypersclerotized receptacles, tubular shaped with a small neck constriction
  • Patellae, tibiae and metatarsi of legs I–IV, and patellae, tibiae and tarsi of pedipalps with dorsal striping
  • Opisthosoma without pattern

Diagnosis
The features present correspond to the females of the genus Thrixopelma

Differential diagnosis
The examined female differs from other Theraphosinae of the Theraphosini tribe (e.g. Central American species of the genus Aphonopelma and also Lasiodorides) by the absence of urticating setae type I and the presence of type III and IV.
From other genera of the tribes Grammostolini and Hapalopini by the combination of the iurticating setae types with the described form of the spermatheca.
Within the genus Thrixopelma, the female differs from all species except T. cyaneolum in the shape of the spermatheca (elongated, narrow, with slight neck constriction) (cf. Sherwood et al., 2021c Figs. 38, 39, 40 and 41 and Schmidt, G., Friebolin, F. & Friebolin, M. (2005a) Fig. 1 and 2).
The female differs from T. cyaneolum (according to SCHMIDT) in the absence of the longer reddish setae dorsally on the abdomen.
There for it is proposed that the examined specimen be initially denote as Thrixopelma aff. cyaneolum.

Literatur
Cooke JA, Roth VD, Miller F. (1972). The Urticating Hairs of Theraphosidae. Am Mus Novit. 2498:1–43.
Perafán, C. & Pérez-Miles, F. (2014b). The Andean tarantulas Euathlus Ausserer, 1875, Paraphysa Simon, 1892 and Phrixotrichus Simon, 1889 (Araneae: Theraphosidae): phylogenetic analysis, genera redefinition and new species descriptions. Journal of Natural History 48(39-40): 2389-2418.
Schmidt, G. & Rudloff, J.-P. (2010). Thrixopelma lagunas sp. n., eine bisher unbekannte Vogelspinnenart aus Peru (Araneae: Theraphosidae: Theraphosinae). Arthropoda Scientia 1: 8-14.
Schmidt, G. (2003j). Lasiodorides longicolli sp. n., eine weitere Art aus dem Grenzgebiet zwischen Ekuador und Peru (Araneae: Theraphosidae: Theraphosinae). Tarantulas of the World 88: 4-9.
Schmidt, G. (2007f). Die Weibchen von Paraphysa peruviana sp. n. (Araneae: Theraphosidae: Theraphosinae), einer seit mindestens 12 Jahren bekannten Art aus Peru. Tarantulas of the World 135/136: 3-6.
Schmidt, G., Friebolin, F. & Friebolin, M. (2005a). Gibt es jetzt wirklich eine neue Homoeomma-Art (Araneae: Theraphosidae: Theraphosinae) aus Peru?. Tarantulas of the World 102: 4-17.
Schmidt, G., Friebolin, F. & Friebolin, M. (2005b). Ergänzung zur Erstbeschreibung von Thrixopelma cyaneum sp.n. Tarantulas of the World 110: 3
Sherwood, D., Gabriel, R., Kaderka, R., Lucas, S. M. & Brescovit, A. D. (2021c). Stabilizing a chaotic taxonomy: redescription and redefinition of the genera Lasiodorides Schmidt & Bischoff, 1997 and Thrixopelma Schmidt, 1994 (Araneae: Theraphosidae). Arachnology 18(8): 893-917.
Turner, S. P., Longhorn, S. J., Hamilton, C. A., Gabriel, R., Pérez-Miles, F. & Vogler, A. P. (2018). Re-evaluating conservation priorities of New World tarantulas (Araneae: Theraphosidae) in a molecular framework indicates nonmonophyly of the genera, Aphonopelma and Brachypelma. Systematics and Biodiversity 16(1): 89-107.

arthurliuyz

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter +
Now i examined a exuviae of one female which was labeled as T. cyaneolum but has not the long red setae which are a feature according to SCHMIDT.

Theraphosinae sp. "Thrixopelma cyaneolum"

Material

• 1 female, Exuviea, carapace length ca. 15 mm, carapace is missing
  • The specimen was labeled as "T. cyaneolum" in pet trade.
  • Detailed information on the place of origin is not available.
  • Abdomen without longer red setae.

Description (only main features)
  • Urtication setae typ III + IV present
  • Maxilla without stridulatory setae or lyra
  • Coxal spinules present
  • Coxa of leg I lacking stridulatory setae
  • Trochanter of leg I lacking stridulatory setae
  • Femur IV without pad of plumose stridulatory setae on retrolateral face
  • Palpal trochanter lacking stridulatory setae
  • Palpal femur without pad of plumose setae on prolateral face
  • Tarsi I–IV with one pair of tarsal claws with medial serration on each claw
  • one claw on palpal tarsi
  • Tarsi I–II ventral fully scopulae
  • Tarsi III–IV with divided scopula (band of setae)
  • Spermathecae with two separate hypersclerotized receptacles, tubular shaped with a small neck constriction
  • Patellae, tibiae and metatarsi of legs I–IV, and patellae, tibiae and tarsi of pedipalps with dorsal striping
  • Opisthosoma without pattern

Diagnosis
The features present correspond to the females of the genus Thrixopelma

Differential diagnosis
The examined female differs from other Theraphosinae of the Theraphosini tribe (e.g. Central American species of the genus Aphonopelma and also Lasiodorides) by the absence of urticating setae type I and the presence of type III and IV.
From other genera of the tribes Grammostolini and Hapalopini by the combination of the iurticating setae types with the described form of the spermatheca.
Within the genus Thrixopelma, the female differs from all species except T. cyaneolum in the shape of the spermatheca (elongated, narrow, with slight neck constriction) (cf. Sherwood et al., 2021c Figs. 38, 39, 40 and 41 and Schmidt, G., Friebolin, F. & Friebolin, M. (2005a) Fig. 1 and 2).
The female differs from T. cyaneolum (according to SCHMIDT) in the absence of the longer reddish setae dorsally on the abdomen.
There for it is proposed that the examined specimen be initially denote as Thrixopelma aff. cyaneolum.

Literatur
Cooke JA, Roth VD, Miller F. (1972). The Urticating Hairs of Theraphosidae. Am Mus Novit. 2498:1–43.
Perafán, C. & Pérez-Miles, F. (2014b). The Andean tarantulas Euathlus Ausserer, 1875, Paraphysa Simon, 1892 and Phrixotrichus Simon, 1889 (Araneae: Theraphosidae): phylogenetic analysis, genera redefinition and new species descriptions. Journal of Natural History 48(39-40): 2389-2418.
Schmidt, G. & Rudloff, J.-P. (2010). Thrixopelma lagunas sp. n., eine bisher unbekannte Vogelspinnenart aus Peru (Araneae: Theraphosidae: Theraphosinae). Arthropoda Scientia 1: 8-14.
Schmidt, G. (2003j). Lasiodorides longicolli sp. n., eine weitere Art aus dem Grenzgebiet zwischen Ekuador und Peru (Araneae: Theraphosidae: Theraphosinae). Tarantulas of the World 88: 4-9.
Schmidt, G. (2007f). Die Weibchen von Paraphysa peruviana sp. n. (Araneae: Theraphosidae: Theraphosinae), einer seit mindestens 12 Jahren bekannten Art aus Peru. Tarantulas of the World 135/136: 3-6.
Schmidt, G., Friebolin, F. & Friebolin, M. (2005a). Gibt es jetzt wirklich eine neue Homoeomma-Art (Araneae: Theraphosidae: Theraphosinae) aus Peru?. Tarantulas of the World 102: 4-17.
Schmidt, G., Friebolin, F. & Friebolin, M. (2005b). Ergänzung zur Erstbeschreibung von Thrixopelma cyaneum sp.n. Tarantulas of the World 110: 3
Sherwood, D., Gabriel, R., Kaderka, R., Lucas, S. M. & Brescovit, A. D. (2021c). Stabilizing a chaotic taxonomy: redescription and redefinition of the genera Lasiodorides Schmidt & Bischoff, 1997 and Thrixopelma Schmidt, 1994 (Araneae: Theraphosidae). Arachnology 18(8): 893-917.
Turner, S. P., Longhorn, S. J., Hamilton, C. A., Gabriel, R., Pérez-Miles, F. & Vogler, A. P. (2018). Re-evaluating conservation priorities of New World tarantulas (Araneae: Theraphosidae) in a molecular framework indicates nonmonophyly of the genera, Aphonopelma and Brachypelma. Systematics and Biodiversity 16(1): 89-107.
Hi! Thanks for the info!
If I understand correctly, the specimen you examined, sold in the pet trade as T cyaneolum but with a blue abdomen is indeed a Thrixopelma sp. but you aren't sure whether it is indeed T cyaneolum, so it should be labeled as Thrixopelma aff. cyaneolum - correct? Not sure if I understood the diagnosis.

c.h.esteban

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
...but you aren't sure whether it is indeed T cyaneolum,...
Based on the descriptions (especially Schmidt, G., Friebolin, F. & Friebolin, M. (2005a) and Schmidt, G. & Rudloff, J.-P. (2010)) i can just state, that it differs in the one feature of the long red setae.

And because we dont know conspecific males (maybe there are differences) and have any propper information about the distribution of these specimens without red setae and also T. cyaneolum (maybe they live in separate areas), i can only say based on the descriptions that they are not identical.
In suche cases the term "aff." is the best choise for me, "...it indicates that available material or evidence suggests that the proposed species is related to, has an affinity to, but is not identical to, the species with the binomial name it comes after."