Blue Mold?

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
but I think as moist to the point when there is mold...is too much, and it is also an indicator that there isn't enough airflow.
Exactly right.
I am picturing a 1970s glass fish tank here with only top ventilation possible. But for OPs tank to still be damp after 2 months is not ideal at all. :(

OP -- since T will be stressed by any changes anyway -- why not start fresh with all dry substrate? The stress will be the same to the T whether you merely remove one area of damp and add more substrate or if you redo whole tank again.
You gotta get that dampness out -- normal ventilation and the usual osmosis principles simply aren't working with your current setup to dry things out.

LeadedCactus83

Arachnopeon
I don't understand this sentence
'she hasn't had a need to molt yet so all in all I think I'm doing okay'
The spider not molting is not a sign of good or bad husbandry ;) but maybe I misunderstood the sentence?
As in I haven't had her long enough to warrent her molting in my care. So there hasn't been a bad molt as an effect of the humidity or conditions.
Most of the sub has dried out, but that one corner is still mildly damp.

Last edited:

LeadedCactus83

Arachnopeon
Exactly right.
I am picturing a 1970s glass fish tank here with only top ventilation possible. But for OPs tank to still be damp after 2 months is not ideal at all. :(

OP -- since T will be stressed by any changes anyway -- why not start fresh with all dry substrate? The stress will be the same to the T whether you merely remove one area of damp and add more substrate or if you redo whole tank again.
You gotta get that dampness out -- normal ventilation and the usual osmosis principles simply aren't working with your current setup to dry things out.
Considering the tank was marketed as suitable for reptiles and invertebrates, I thought it would be fine. I know a few hobbyists who have the same tanks and have never had an issue with them.
And like I said in the previous post, most of the sub is dry, just the one corner is mildly damp, for whatever reason.

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
You can use this set up if you want. But if you do, make sure the substrate is dry.
Taking advice is not mandatory, ultimately it is your animal and your choice :). I simply comment and explain what I would or wouldn't do based on what I've experienced and read.

The relation between failed molts and humidity is a bit nebulous, to say the least. What seems to be more important for the molt to be succesful is plenty of fluids between the old and the new exoskeleton, and not so much the humidity in the surrounding area.
Otherwise we should see more failed molts in desert species, and that isn't the case.
I think keeping water available for drinking is more important.

If course, this is the case with juvenile/adult Theraphosidae, for slings it is another matter. ;)

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Considering the tank was marketed as suitable for reptiles and invertebrates, I thought it would be fine. I know a few hobbyists who have the same tanks and have never had an issue with them.
And like I said in the previous post, most of the sub is dry, just the one corner is mildly damp, for whatever reason.
I cannot decide if you're satisfied your current set up and are willing to wait for the mould to dry out. Or if you want assistance to create a dryer environment for your T more quickly.
You've gotten lots of advice in this thread, you'll have to decide how you want to proceed. Best of luck to your T.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Anyone seem anything like this? How did you deal with it? Did it harm your T? Should I remove all accessories and replace them to prevent another outbreak?
Growing the cure cancer NICE! Ive seen orange myself at times. No harm in small amounts IME. I typically let it dry out more, or increased ventilation.

LeadedCactus83

Arachnopeon
Growing the cure cancer NICE! Ive seen orange myself at times. No harm in small amounts IME. I typically let it dry out more, or increased ventilation.
Thank you. Apparently she has her own grow op! Haha!
Sorry for the double post. My phone is weird