Blue Fang (E. Cyanogathus) Anyone have this and what do u think about it?

molochinNY

Arachnopeon
HI. I have had a Blue Fang for six months. I love this T. Do any of you have one and if so what have your experiences been with it? I'd like any info anyone has on keeping theres. I haven't been able to find much but I did get a good/great caresheet from a friend in Montreal. Please tell me all you can about this species and your experiences.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Ive had one for about a year now. Unfortunetly i've seen it out of its burrow about 3 times since i got it. It is def. one of the prettiest spiderlings i have ever seen. I paid about 75 bucks for a little hatchling. Its seems to be growing pretty fast and eats alot.

molochinNY

Arachnopeon
Philith, how big is your spiderling?

HOw big is your spiderling and what kind of set up do you have it in? How much substrate and humidity and such? I paid 69 dollars for mine including shipping, it is about 1.5 inches and i don't see it much either...occastionally when it eats...but it is secretive. Do you keep any other Ephebopus species?

Moloch

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
They're ultra-fast, can run forever without running out of steam, are somewhat on the delicate side and do tend to be hardcore burrowers (opportunistic - they'll construct a volcano-shaped cone out of sphagnum and peat if they have to).

I suggest slightly higher temps with lows in the high 70's and up into the mid 80's with a nice wide waterdish that is always filled and bi-daily misting to maintain humidity (they seem to do better with that). Or, depending on your preference, overfilling the waterdish soaking the surrounding substrate in that portion of the container works, too.

I have a feeling adults aren't the longest-lived terrestrials out there, maybe 5-8 or so years. I've heard of lots of WC adults in captivity dying off. The spiderlings are quite sensitive to low humidity.

bill

molochinNY

Arachnopeon
Bill,
Thanks for the info. I have been looking at your stock list and think you have great stuff. I have about 30 T's now and will order more when I move back to louisiana. I've read mixed things but I hope you can clear up are they aggressive or what and what other T would u compare them to regarding this? Thanks for the info.

Moloch

molochinNY

Arachnopeon
any body have any pics of their blue fang

Bill,
Do you have any pics of your blue fang that you could post. I have only seen pics that are on Rick wests site and the pic of the large adult that is on your site.

Thanks

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
They're VERY fast, very quick to dart off. They don't tend to rear up as much as say, Ephebopus murinus, but still make moving/rehousing tough with their lightning speed, quasi-arboreal sticky tarsi (they stick to anything) and general unwillingness to be Chaco-like. :)