Blue Death Feigning Beetles! (Asbolus verrucosus)

What should I name my beetles?

• Lilo & Stich

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Toast & Jelly

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • (Comment your own if you've got other suggestions)

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

strawberrybloom

Arachnopeon
Wow!

I just purchased two Blue Death Feigning Beetles ( Asbolus verrucosus ) from Bugs in Cyberspace.

I'm absolutely ecstatic for them to arrive and while I've done my research online I was wondering if the Arachnoboard community had any advice that they may deem helpful.

My plan is to breed them.

I understand that getting them to mate isn't the problem but the constant temperature and humidity level that are needed. I've been following along with Aquarimax Pets on youtube and I feel like I have all the necessary tools to hopefully successfully raise a brood of these babies.

I'm absolutely ecstatic for them to arrive and while I've done my research online I was wondering if the Arachnoboard community had any advice that they may deem helpful in for the pupation process. I've heard that waiting for the specimens to get larger in the larva stage will result in larger adults but also more possible deaths to the un-pupated larva. Any suggestions on how to grow them larger without running the risk of killing them off?

Also, any name suggestions for the two blueberries I just ordered?

Poonjab

Arachnoking
What got you so into these beetles? That question goes out to others that keep them as well. I know they are fairly popular in the hobby, just curious what people find so fascinating about them? Might perk my interest in keeping some as I know very little about then to be honest.

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
This is literally exactly what I thought of when I saw them. I was trying to think of some silliness for you for names, and if I think of anymore I'll come post of course.

I thought, what would be a great intro if someone came to your house, and you were like, "These are my blueberries, Steven and Paul."

But then I thought about what my son used to call blueberries... Bloobs.

So of course, Bloob and Blob came to mind.

I'm also a huge fan of puns, don't worry, I'll keep thinking on it.

strawberrybloom

Arachnopeon
What got you so into these beetles? That question goes out to others that keep them as well. I know they are fairly popular in the hobby, just curious what people find so fascinating about them? Might perk my interest in keeping some as I know very little about then, to be honest.
I'm not 100% adept with these little guys. I keep phids and collect tropical plants so the BFD Beetles will be something new to my collection. My family friend owned a few and I would always 'bug sit' when they were away so I know how to care for them.

I just think their color and lifespan makes them a really attractive species to begginer beetle owners. Along with the fact that they are one of the lower maintenance beetles available on the market today. Unlike Rhino beetles (Dynastes tityus or Dynastes granti) which need higher humidity levels. These guys really don't mind dryer air. In fact, they prefer it. Since they are desert beetles, any humidity less than 20% is best.

I was a little surprised at how hard these guys were to find and how expensive some sellers were offering them for. I'm assuming this is because of the high demand but I was happy to find a reputable place that sold them at a reasonable price.

strawberrybloom

Arachnopeon
This is literally exactly what I thought of when I saw them. I was trying to think of some silliness for you for names, and if I think of anymore I'll come post of course.

I thought, what would be a great intro if someone came to your house, and you were like, "These are my blueberries, Steven and Paul."

But then I thought about what my son used to call blueberries... Bloobs.

So of course, Bloob and Blob came to mind.

I'm also a huge fan of puns, don't worry, I'll keep thinking on it.
That's so adorable!
I was really thinking about naming them something blue/fruit-related because they are just so cute.
I'll make sure to add a new post when they arrive so everyone can see them, along with the names I settle on.

paumotu

Arachnobaron
Wow!

I just purchased two Blue Death Feigning Beetles ( Asbolus verrucosus ) from Bugs in Cyberspace.

I'm absolutely ecstatic for them to arrive and while I've done my research online I was wondering if the Arachnoboard community had any advice that they may deem helpful.

My plan is to breed them.

I understand that getting them to mate isn't the problem but the constant temperature and humidity level that are needed. I've been following along with Aquarimax Pets on youtube and I feel like I have all the necessary tools to hopefully successfully raise a brood of these babies.

I'm absolutely ecstatic for them to arrive and while I've done my research online I was wondering if the Arachnoboard community had any advice that they may deem helpful in for the pupation process. I've heard that waiting for the specimens to get larger in the larva stage will result in larger adults but also more possible deaths to the un-pupated larva. Any suggestions on how to grow them larger without running the risk of killing them off?

Did you acquire a sexed pair, or two randoms? If you're not sure, here's a good visual guide.

Attachments