Blondi Update... dead

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, my T. blondi finally passed on due to unknown causes... I knew she wasn't doing so hot over the last couple of weeks but I was hoping she might pull through again. She kinda picked a spot and stayed there for a few days. I went away for the weekend to work at a camp, came back last night and she was all curled up with not an ounce of life left in her. I don't know if she was ever in pain but if she was, then I'm glad that's over for her. Poor girl...... :(

And to make matters worse, I had planned a solitary trip to the beach this week--the thought of 5 days at the beach was what got me through exams--but I checked weather.com when I got home... thunderstorms all week. So yeah, I cried a lot last night. What a bummer, eh?

Just to make this not a total "poor me" thread, I do have some good news. My female A. avicularia has still been quite receptive to mating with the 2 boys. I really need to develop those pics for you guys! She's had a great appetite too--gave her a pinky last night and she devoured it. I have high hopes for the big girl!

Anyways...... just thought I'd let yall know about the blondi since she's the one people ask about most. She will certainly be missed... she was my favorite. :(

kellygirl

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
how big was it. my blondi has been sitting in the same place for a while too I don't think anythings wrong with it besides being fat.

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by johnnyjohnjon
how big was it. my blondi has been sitting in the same place for a while too I don't think anythings wrong with it besides being fat.
Mine has been sick for awhile. I wouldn't worry about yours yet if I were you, unless you see some strange behavior. I don't think this species is known for being all that active to begin with.

kellygirl

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sorry bout your Blondi do you plan on getting another one???

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah mine stays in a four by four square of web its made and usually only moves to eat. not sure on the sex yet but I know a guy who has a female and if mines a male I'll send ya a few slings. mines only 2" but I just got a job at the pet shop today so I can get T's at cost so I might go ahead annd buy an adult. I'll keep ya posted

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Sean
Sorry bout your Blondi do you plan on getting another one???
This was the prize I won from the Arachnoraffle awhile back. It was an adult female..... I certainly can't afford to get another one of those..... :(

kellygirl

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by johnnyjohnjon
yeah mine stays in a four by four square of web its made and usually only moves to eat. not sure on the sex yet but I know a guy who has a female and if mines a male I'll send ya a few slings. mines only 2" but I just got a job at the pet shop today so I can get T's at cost so I might go ahead annd buy an adult. I'll keep ya posted

Aw, that is so sweet. :)

kellygirl

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sorry about that kg.
its always sad when a T dies, especially the big ones.. not that they matter more than the small ones, but you know..

is this the same one that had the white matter coming from its anus?

Consequently, i've been reading up on the "mysterious-white-matter"disease which seems to be related to nematodes or parasites inside the animal.

At the University of Minnesota's entomology dept, theres a guy whos studying this (They have like 35,000 spiders there!). I also think someone gave a talk on this at the last Minn.Herp.Society.

If you can, i think it would be best to send the dead T to someone for scientific purposes. They'll most likely be able to tell you the cause of death, and you would be contributing GREATLY to the "science of T's".

Just think: the death of your T could contribute to saving the lives of many T's after it.

Again, i'm sorry kelly.
If i breed my male blondi succesfully (ART - I MAY BE BUYING THAT FEMALE OFF OF YOU AFTER ALL), you get first choice of a couple slings.. if you want, of course (no $ of course). Take solace in a warm bed tonight.

take care
peace
dave

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
whoa, someone posted about blondi slings while I was writing my response!!! Totally didnt even see that or mean to copy.. But the offer still stands!!!

damn lag-time with my typing :)

peace
dave

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by RugbyDave
is this the same one that had the white matter coming from its anus?
This is the one who seemed to be "leaking" clear liquid from her abdomen--it was as if she had rubbed herself raw.

If you can, i think it would be best to send the dead T to someone for scientific purposes. They'll most likely be able to tell you the cause of death, and you would be contributing GREATLY to the "science of T's".
I wouldn't know who to send her to but she is currently sitting in my freezer in a Ziploc, just in case. I goofed though..... I was so sad about her death that I couldn't even bear to look at her and I left her in the aquarium until about an hour ago. When I went to put her in a bag, she had been attacked by tiny little white scavenger mites. I've seen them many times before and they never cause problems for my collection but will emerge if I let any enclosure get too humid or if the soil around the water bowl gets too wet. I kept the blondi enclosure at a high level of humidity so I'm not surprised about the mites coming.... they'll die in the freezer though, no doubt.

If i breed my male blondi succesfully (ART - I MAY BE BUYING THAT FEMALE OFF OF YOU AFTER ALL), you get first choice of a couple slings.. if you want, of course (no $ of course).
Thank you, also, for the offer. Very sweet. Thank you, everyone, for your kind words. I agree, Dave, the big ones dying tends to wrench the heart a little more for some reason.... :(

kellygirl

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey there

Give me a day or so to look into where you could send the T off to (if you want). I can get you some names and addresses. Maybe they'll pay for shipping, but maybe not. Usually not :)

it all depends on if you want to help contribute.

Please let me know so i can do some snooping. I have stan's email on here somewhere, and he'd DEF. know where to send it. Plus i'm sure some other people on here would know where to send it in the US for study-purposes.

in other news, do you know where the mites actually emerge from?

peace
dave

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
also, if you do want to send it away, and you do have to pay for shipping, i can kick in a couple bucks..

let me know kg!

peace
dave

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
aw kelly, sorry to hear about the death of your blondi...

if you need anything, let me know...

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Aww...

Kel-

Sorry, sweetie. Sounds like some of our fellow members got you covered on replacements. Hope you feel better soon and I hope that weather takes a turn for the better :D !

Dario

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by kellygirl
I wouldn't know who to send her to but she is currently sitting in my freezer in a Ziploc, just in case. I goofed though..... I was so sad about her death that I couldn't even bear to look at her and I left her in the aquarium until about an hour ago. When I went to put her in a bag, she had been attacked by tiny little white scavenger mites. I've seen them many times before and they never cause problems for my collection but will emerge if I let any enclosure get too humid or if the soil around the water bowl gets too wet. I kept the blondi enclosure at a high level of humidity so I'm not surprised about the mites coming.... they'll die in the freezer though, no doubt.
What about NCSU in Raleigh? There's a vet school there. Surely they have something there, or they'll know who to contact.

Bry