Blondi juice???

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Okay, can someone please explain to me why, when my T. blondi kicks hairs, her butt starts dripping clear liquid? What is up with that?

kellygirl

Note: The juice is coming from the top of the abdomen, where her leg rubs to kick the hairs.

Last edited:

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Sounds like she somehow is rubbing herself raw. I don't think I've ever heard of that happening before though..... You might want to take some nu-skin and place some on the spot where she keeps leaking from to form a barrier if she continues to kick.

This is a strange one though. Anyone else ever hear of this?

Scott

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've never heard of that either but it can't be good at all. Whatever's causing her to kick so much needs to be stopped. I hope she's ok. I'd recommend keeping a close eye to make sure the fluid has stopped but try to disturb her as little as possible.
Keep us updated.

Atrax

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great..... just great. I've had the girl like 2 or 3 weeks and I've already got an unknown problem. :(

When she arrived at my apartment, she was already completely bald on her abdomen. As I've seen plenty of pictures of other T. blondi with the same appearance, I thought nothing of it. She doesn't readily hair because all the times I'd filled her waterdish or misted her cage, she pretty much just chills, or kinda gets in "hairing position" just in case. ;) There have only been 2 instances in which she has kicked hairs. Once when I gave her a hopper earlier this week and again when I moved her into her new 20 gallon enclosure today.

In the case with mouse, I immediately removed the mouse and returned it to the store. I guess she doesn't need to be fed once a week......? When I gave her a hopper last week, she pounced on it as soon as it hit the substrate. This time she just batted at the mouse and haired like crazy, making a loud hissing sound. After I removed the mouse, she ran and jumped headfirst into her waterdish. I thought that was strange but I figured she was just stressed from the mouse ordeal and left her alone. I thought that maybe the liquid on her abdomen may have splashed on her when she jumped in the waterdish. She seemed fine the rest of the day so I didn't worry about it. This is a new species for me so I'm not totally sure what quirks I'm supposed to expect.

When I moved her today, I GENTLY coaxed her into a large plexiglass jar with a plasic spatula and she wasn't thrilled about that. She started to hair like crazy and when i put the lid on the jar, which I held horizontally so she had a little space to walk, I saw a little puddle of clear liquid and there was liquid on her abdomen again. It happened almost instantly. I finished transferring her and left her alone. She didn't do the waterdish dive this time. That was a few hours ago and she is doing fine now. She's been exploring her spacious new aquarium and showing no signs of distress.

And as for that Nu-Skin suggestion, how the heck am I supposed to do that, Scott?! :? :confused: Plus, what is Nu-Skin? :8o Any other ideas? I mean, should I avoid feeding her for awhile? She's not all that fat so I doubt she's approaching a molt. Especially since last week she devoured that hopper... that bolus she left was DISGUSTING. But anyways, HELP!!!!

kellygirl

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Kelly,
Mine did this before, and unfortunatally it died therefore after. Best Of luck. I have no advice :(

Sincerely,

Brandon

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Brandon
Kelly,
Mine did this before, and unfortunatally it died therefore after. Best Of luck. I have no advice :(

Sincerely,

Brandon

:(

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Kelly,
The one that died of mine, was the only mature female that Iv ever owned. I remember it started to happen when I was at a spider party. I didnt think to much of it entell a friend of mine, Darrin said I should take it more seriously. That same night we sealed the wound with super glue and it help for months. In fact now that I think about it she died in her next molt. Do anything to save her because there is a chance. I hope this works. Thats all that I know for now.

Sincerely,
Brandon

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Nu-Skin is a liquid bandage that you should be able to find with the band-aids at Wal Mart or somewhere like that. Basically it's a liquid wound sealant. When you open it up, in the cap is a long stick with a brush at the end of it. Does your blondi sit there or does it run? I would say to take the cap in a pair of long tweezers and just try to brush it on the blondi. You could also try to put her in the fridge for a bit to slow her down, but that may cause more stress than she needs right now. Sorry I can't be of more help... :(

Scott

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do you think that she may have been upset by the shipping process and rubbed herself raw on the way here? Maybe Pat could say whether she did this before?

There doesn't appear to be a "wound" and she her abdomen is dry now. It doesn't look like she is "leaking" anymore.

How is this for a plan?

1. Leave her alone for 2 weeks and only mist side of aquarium opposite from her.
2. In 2 weeks, offer a pre-killed hopper.
3. Acquire some of this "Nu-Skin" stuff and apply it if the juice problem persists.
4. Keep a close eye on her.

Should I alter the humidity or temps at all? What are some other supplies (besides the Nu-Skin) that I should keep in case of an ICU situation? Should I offer crickets as snacks or is that too risky?

Is there anything else that I can do?

kellygirl

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by mrderanged
Nu-Skin is a liquid bandage that you should be able to find with the band-aids at Wal Mart or somewhere like that. Basically it's a liquid wound sealant. When you open it up, in the cap is a long stick with a brush at the end of it. Does your blondi sit there or does it run? I would say to take the cap in a pair of long tweezers and just try to brush it on the blondi. You could also try to put her in the fridge for a bit to slow her down, but that may cause more stress than she needs right now. Sorry I can't be of more help... :(

Scott

She actually quite docile, possibly handleable one day, depending on my reaction to the hairs. I think I may be able to do that because it has the little brush. It's just that I don't know her temperment very well yet because I haven't had her long. And those fangs are massive! I'm also nervous about how she will react if I touch her abdomen because it might be sensitive. Are you sure that the Nu-Skin is safe for her? I will go to Walmart tonight and get it if it is possible that it will save her...

You are being very helpful. I know more now than I did earlier!

kellygirl

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Kelly --

first off, youre cute as hell, but i bet your boy would be angry i said that :)

secondly, i had the same problem, in 2 different ways:

1) with T.blondi, same clear problem, ended up dying after 2 molts.... tried nu-skin, but to no avail...

2) with G.Rosea, white liquid -- died within 2 weeks (a horrible horrible death)

I'm thinking that its like, with some humans, freebleeders? After a rough shipping process maybe?

do what youthink best, since no-one here is probably going to be able to guide you any further..

suffice it to say, we're all here man. I'm sure we've all beenthrough this experience -- you want to help, but at the same time, there's reallynot alot to do in these esoteric situations...

i wish youthe best.

peace

--
when i woke up this morning, this song was in my head. Yeah, i know....

"we run, we jump we swim, we play, we row and go on trips, but the things that forever are our dear friendships...Oh, camp onawanda, we hold you in our heart, and we think about you
-it makes me want to fart..
-KIDS, ITS "I HOPE WE NEVER PART", NOW GET IT RIGHT OR PAY THE PRICE
(- sorry, ug....)
---

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, I just peeked in on her again and she is sitting there slowly rubbing her abdomen. Do you think she is in pain? :(

Thanks for all the help everyone... I guess I'll go get some of that Nu-Skin... don't know what else to do.

I just want to cry. :(

kellygirl

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sadly many upon many of these creatures are born for a reason and its the reason that they may live on this planet long after we are gone.

Sad, but the way life works sometimes theres querks that need to be worked out so not everyone makes it out alive. Who knows in a few million years they may use the liquid to coat the hairs with poison.
Thinking about this helps me whenever one of my animals dies

But knowing spiders.. they can surprise you they have been around for millions of years after all

Last edited:

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Sorry, Kelly

Originally posted by kellygirl
Well, I just peeked in on her again and she is sitting there slowly rubbing her abdomen. Do you think she is in pain? :(

Thanks for all the help everyone... I guess I'll go get some of that Nu-Skin... don't know what else to do.

I just want to cry. :(

kellygirl
That's a jacked position to be in - I feel for you. I think the fridge and/or the Nu-skin is your best bet. But, if you're ABSOLUTELY sure that the abdomen is secreting that liquid and the hair kicking is the source - would autotomizing the legs be out of the question???? No kick, no leak; no legs, no kick. Hmmm....

I wish you the best, sincerely,

D:(

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hey KG,

I had a G. alticeps that did this and survived. She had just molted and I think I was a bit too eager to remove the exuvium. She tried to throw hair and punctured her abdomen on the top. The puncture seemed to be smaller than what you have described , but it did bleed for the better part of the day. The only thing that I did ( perhaps stupidly) was use a Q-tip to absorb some of the excess hemolymph from the site. In retrospect I doubt that this was the correct course of action to take, however the wound did close. I'm not sure if there are any clotting agents in tarantula hemolymph, but a scab-like area formed over this spot. She has since molted three times and has had no further problems. Your case differs in that the spider is still actively rubbing the area.

I have used Nu-skin on the abdomen of an A. avicularia ( community experiment gone awry) and it did seal the wound. This spider has not since molted and I fear that it may not survive it's next attempt.

Good luck and keep us informed,

John

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
JP, there isnt any visible puncture. Good to hear a success story!

Last night I tried to go to Walmart to find some of that Nu-Skin stuff. Um, they closed at 11:00... what happened to that whole 24 hour thing? Then I went to Harris Teeter (which IS open 24 hours) but they didn't have the stuff. Hopefully, I'll find it today...

She is chillin in her flower pot now and appears to be doing fine.

kellygirl

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by JP version 1.0
In retrospect I doubt that this was the correct course of action to take, however the wound did close. I'm not sure if there are any clotting agents in tarantula hemolymph, but a scab-like area formed over this spot.
Hi John,
There are no clotting agents in theraphosid hemolymph. Your "scab" probably formed through minute particles in the substrate gathering on the wound. Quite often a peat substrate will do the trick as the peat clogs the wound, great stuff, that peat. Twice now I've had peat form a scab on a wound.

I have used Nu-skin on the abdomen of an A. avicularia ( community experiment gone awry) and it did seal the wound. This spider has not since molted and I fear that it may not survive it's next attempt.
It should make the molt OK. Nu-skin doesn't seem to affect the molting process other then a discoloraion where the injury was. This discoloraion may go with the next molt, it may not, both cases have been noted before.

For Kelly, this injury should definately be patched, the abdomen is too flexible to hope for the best. No an easy task, but one that should be attempted, give the fridge a go, as mentioned earlier. A q-tip helps to apply the sealant easily.

Cheers,
Steve

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Question: how do I go about doing this refridgerator tactic without upsetting her? What is a good length of time to leave her in? What kind of container should I have her in to do this?

kellygirl

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Steve Nunn
Hi John,
There are no clotting agents in theraphosid hemolymph. Your "scab" probably formed through minute particles in the substrate gathering on the wound.

I have read that there aren't any, but I knew that it "scabbed" up somehow. Thanks for the info Steve.

It should make the molt OK. Nu-skin doesn't seem to affect the molting process other then a discoloraion where the injury was.

This is good to know. I had used it on legs before with no problem, but I was unsure of how it would affect the abdomen in a molt.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
:rolleyes: Kelly, my H. lividium secreted fluid before she "died" and came back to life. It was all over her with no visible "leak." Three days later, she molted and is now doing great. I have never seen a pre-molt like it, but she's o.k. now....

Be calm and watch her closely, maybe in a few days, you'll have a new, fluffy girl!

Point is, chin up! We're all cheering her on!!:D :D :D :D