Blog #15: Brown boxing criminals

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
BLOG #15: BROWN BOXING CRIMINALS

If you order arachnids (or other wildlife) from someone outside of the U.S. and have it shipped into the U.S. without an import/export license and clearance at a designated port of entry with proper wildlife and customs paperwork, inspections and fees you are a criminal.

kissmybighairyspider.blogspot.com

cold blood

Staff member
Nice read, important info, thank you for taking the time to both write it and post it here for us to check out.:clap:

Dave Marschang

Arachnoknight
lol mike I already considered myself some what of a "fan" of yours, now after reading you're blog I'm damn near a groupie.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

If you order arachnids (or other wildlife) from someone outside of the U.S. and have it shipped into the U.S. without an import/export license and clearance at a designated port of entry with proper wildlife and customs paperwork, inspections and fees you are a criminal.

We tried this method in the past before of bringing down brown boxing dealers or none dealers out in the open but nothing was done. This is nothing new to many dealers that are not brown boxing, not making a profit and have to sell their stock at a higher price.
I can post past links but why bother, some of these dealers that have brown boxed and may still, are still in business and customer still supporting them.

Past history repeats itself and nothing will ever be done about it...........

My suggestion to you Michael Jacobi is, if it means a lot to you, and you have evidence that this particular person or dealer is doing illegal importation/exportation I would contact the proper authority.

Last edited:

truecreature

Arachnoknight
Thank you for posting this. A lot of people are completely clueless that you can't just buy animal products from overseas as easily as if you were getting, say, kitchen supplies. It's a big problem in the taxidermy hobby as well.

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The problem is, you can get away with it. We've already seen a big dealer in the past do it for decades, get caught, and walk away with an even larger fan base, and probably more sales. And a total pass.

On the other hand, a dealer that has never "brown boxed" has a tragedy, and watches his life's work go up in smoke, his sales are cut by 70%.

Ain't life grand!

Swifty

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The problem is, you can get away with it. We've already seen a big dealer in the past do it for decades, get caught, and walk away with an even larger fan base, and probably more sales. And a total pass.

On the other hand, a dealer that has never "brown boxed" has a tragedy, and watches his life's work go up in smoke, his sales are cut by 70%.

Ain't life grand!

Swifty
Amen Swifty! Glad to see you getting back on gear........ Hope all is well and for a better future.

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
To Jose: My blog aims to educate and share my vast experience and my rant posts are meant to inflame, anger, call out and vent. It's therapy for me. Now "semi-retired" I am finally at the point where I don't care who I offend and I am happy to piss off the deserving. I do hope anyone at USFW sees the post and I will send a link to it to some officers I know. But I don't hold out hope that I am going to change much. And it's not my job to police the hobby. I'm a writer and I'm just writing what I know. If one person learns the law or one person who was going to or has been brown boxing stops, than I will consider Blog #15 a success. We all know what has happened in the past and what you are referring to and it's a shame when justice isn't served. But I'm just a guy writing his memoirs in the form of a daily blog and vomiting my very opinionated views on the hobby and life. I appreciate your comments.

To my buddy Swifty: Your post is particularly on point and illustrates the injustice that occurs in life. It is a punch in the gut to read as I feel for you. As you wrote, "Ain't Life Grand". It is a sad commentary on things that someone who has contributed as much as you has such misfortune and someone else skates along taking few blows. I feel for you and I wish you all the best always. Just let me know if I can help in any way, ever. It is a statement to your character that you are still plugging away and doing your best to keep a smile on. All the best.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
I am glad to read this and calling people out that negatively impact our hobby and potentially wildlife conservation is commendable.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
A very good thing to bring up, given all the recent overseas ads. I definitely get the impression that a lot of people don't realize it's not as simple as sending a PM and Paypal payment, as it is here.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
To Jose: My blog aims to educate and share my vast experience and my rant posts are meant to inflame, anger, call out and vent. It's therapy for me. Now "semi-retired" I am finally at the point where I don't care who I offend and I am happy to piss off the deserving. I do hope anyone at USFW sees the post and I will send a link to it to some officers I know. But I don't hold out hope that I am going to change much. And it's not my job to police the hobby. I'm a writer and I'm just writing what I know. If one person learns the law or one person who was going to or has been brown boxing stops, than I will consider Blog #15 a success. We all know what has happened in the past and what you are referring to and it's a shame when justice isn't served. But I'm just a guy writing his memoirs in the form of a daily blog and vomiting my very opinionated views on the hobby and life. I appreciate your comments.

To my buddy Swifty: Your post is particularly on point and illustrates the injustice that occurs in life. It is a punch in the gut to read as I feel for you. As you wrote, "Ain't Life Grand". It is a sad commentary on things that someone who has contributed as much as you has such misfortune and someone else skates along taking few blows. I feel for you and I wish you all the best always. Just let me know if I can help in any way, ever. It is a statement to your character that you are still plugging away and doing your best to keep a smile on. All the best.
An interesting list of public thanks you offered considering the topic at hand (specifically one area in particular) "A public thanks to our presenters, which in addition to myself include Christian Elowsky, John Apple and Sarah Schrader, and also our big support from NARBC: North American Reptile Breeder's Conference. The raffle prizes for ArachnoGathering 2015 are sponsored by Michael Jacobi's SPIDERSHOPPE, RE Acrylic Displays/Reptile Emporium, Chad Campbell, Randy Martinez & Evil's Arachnids, Paul Becker & Pet Center USA, Josh's Frogs, Eric's Plastic Shop, John Apple, Brian "Gator" S., and hopefully more!"

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/sho...-Tinley-Park&p=2362681&viewfull=1#post2362681

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Great blog post. I actually saw that classified add mentioned in the blog and started to order some spiders but it just seemed too good to be true. My parents taught me that if something SEEMS to be to good to be true it probably isn't true. Thank you for clearing all that up Sir. ;)

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

While its bad, due to deforestation a lot of these Ts will prob go extinct in wild,. T hobby is prob best chance they got at surviving. Doesn't it cost $1000+ for the permit to ship Ts?

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
While its bad, due to deforestation a lot of these Ts will prob go extinct in wild,. T hobby is prob best chance they got at surviving. Doesn't it cost $1000+ for the permit to ship Ts?
No one is suggesting to stop imports! It needs to be done legally though. The ones that will break laws to get stuff into other countries are also the ones that don't care how they obtain the stock in the first place though. That is NOT conservation minded.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
if you read the blog that's posted in the OP, (copy and paste it into your browser), the costs associated with legal import of live animals are detailed.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
That is the price of importation, and frankly from a selfish perspective it's far cheaper than attorneys and jail time.
Yeah brown boxing is bad, and I am against it since its illegal. I guess if you can afford to buy them whats another 2k. Right now though my budget is crushed so I doubt id ever order out of US. Do only dealers do this, or some collectors buy wholesale from germany, europe.. etc?

If anything it sounds more expensive to buy out of USA.

truecreature

Arachnoknight
Yeah brown boxing is bad, and I am against it since its illegal. I guess if you can afford to buy them whats another 2k. Right now though my budget is crushed so I doubt id ever order out of US. Do only dealers do this, or some collectors buy wholesale from germany, europe.. etc?

If anything it sounds more expensive to buy out of USA.
There might be some hardcore collectors out there with money to burn but it's probably almost exclusively dealers; you'd have to take in hundreds of spiders at the least to really make the most out of your fees.