Blatta lateralis smell

VukSRB

Arachnosquire
How do you reduce the smell of red runner collony? I clean it and it is good, then after two feeding and giving water it smells like someone pissed in my room. I live in a flat and can't allow that any more, but I must feed my 25 tarantulas and scorpion. I have dubia, but not enough for all sizes. I have heard that you can put substrate on bottom maybe?
Thanks in advance!

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
I have a dense colony of mine and they don't smell. Are you sure its from the roaches?
In case it is,reduce humidity levels,increase ventilation in their enclosure,and remove uneaten food after 24 hours. This shouldn't allow the air to stagnate and smell up.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
B. lateralis has a unique smell to them that isn't what I could say bad. High humidity or excess droppings of poop with heat will increase the smell drastically. Usually wet foods or foods with moisture will cause them to have more of a wet defecate/poop which in turn cause quite a smell. I recommend trying to limit the moisture based foods or water based products for a start.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
I agree with the above ,it’s most likely your food being fed.Can you find chick starter at a feed store.Its basically ground corn/barley and wheat germ.And then give sliced oranges twice a week for moisture.
Not sure if you have it in Serbia,but whole-wheat tortillas work well also.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
Emptying the droppings should help if you don’t do that often already. And the food like others said, don’t let it get to the point of rotting.

Hi
how you give them water?
I dont keep literalis but keep crickets and the supposed to be worse.I keep them on dry feed only(porridge oats) and water cristals for water source ( changed every 4 days) and even the crickets dont smell.Both food and cristals I keep in small shallow flowerpot undertrays
Regards Konstantin

lazarus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They do have the strongest smell out of all my colonies, they poop a lot and it's harder to clean their enclosure because there will be a poop and egg-cases mixture at the bottom. I use a sifter to separate oothecas from poop. Also, make sure it doesn't get wet, I only give them fruits and veggies for hydration, if the poop gets wet it smells 10 times worse.