Blatta lateralis on the loose!!!

Avic_Litee

Arachnopeon
I found a couple of tiny Blatta lateralis nymphs on the loose last night while doing my rounds in the animal room. Don't know how they got out or if the mother was on the loose.

Should I be concerned?

Emily

Takumaku

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Depends of which crowd of followers you believe in concerning Blatta lateralis -- those who believe it can become a pest and those who don't. When in doubt, use Sevin dust.

Avic_Litee

Arachnopeon
Sevin (carbaryl) kills everything-it is very broad spectrum. It is not combatible with biocontrol agents. I would not recommend anyone use this in the house if you keep arachnids. It will also kill the beneficial house spiders and centipedes if they come in contact. The pyrethroid class is also something to worry about if you have arachnids. The reason these are used is because they have low toxicity to mammals.

I actually don't study roaches, so I'm not sure which pesticides are safe to use for them in the presence of arachnids. I know fipronil is bad too, and I'm not sure about boric acid. Imidacloprid baits would probably be safe.

I am super paranoid about using pesticides in the home! You never know what might be running around the house to move things around from one place to another.

Emily

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Use diatomaceous earth...that will take care of any problems.

Focus on any warm areas...behind the refridgerator, under the oven etc.

Avic_Litee

Arachnopeon
I had forgotten about that one! I'll see how it goes. It might even be that the babies escaped from the centruroides enclosure that was open immediately before I found the babies. I know there was a gravid female in that tank at one point :D

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I use volunteer Steatoda species to control escapees. I have been keeping these for over a year and have had escapees but no infestation. I find dead ones from time to time under things leading me to believe they don't establish easily (at least in my house).

BurrowDweller

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use B. lateralis as feeders and yes, they do get away from time to time. Have not had any problem with them infesting. If you do not have warm damp areas in your home most roaches will have a hard time surviving.