blaptica dubia?

yuanti

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok I just ordered some Blaptica Dubia and they look great...only thing is they are different from the Blaptica Dubia I have in the garage.
After looking around a bit I am pretty positive the ones I just received are indeed Blaptica Dubia but what are the other ones?

New roaches that just arrived:

The ones I had in my garage already:

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Your garage roaches are Blatta latteralis (Shelfordora tartara in europe).

Bill

yuanti

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Would it be ok to house these two types of roaches together? or would there be problems with that?

yuanti

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok thanks I'll do that. I just have one container really for feeders so I gotta figure out what to do with all of them ;)

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just in case you were unaware, treat the laterallis with more respect than the dubia. Lateralis can infest your house, while dubia would most likely die if they got out.

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
just want to share my personal experience with. i housed them both together and my adult females blatta lateralis were bitting on my newly molted blaptica dubias. it's not like i didn't give them enough water n dog food or anything. i like the b. dubias better, on the other hand the b. lateralis have smaller nymphs that you can feed to your spiderlings, newly hatched preying mantis, and other small carnivorous.
Jason

yuanti

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks all. I'm going to keep my B. Dubia and just replace the others with them. =)

the_frog_kid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Your garage roaches are Blatta latteralis (Shelfordora tartara in europe).

Bill
it isnt in europe shelfordella tartara is the real name
and yes female tartara are extremle aggressive
i have said befor that i fed them mealworms

thanx froggy

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
it isnt in europe shelfordella tartara is the real name
B. lateralis is a more useful and sensible description that gives some indication of what else the species is related to and it should not be changed, IMHO. S. tartara on the other hand is some legacy type deal assigned to honor someones name. Until such time as no one knows what species I'm refering to, I will continue to use B. latteralis and will referance S. tartara only to appease the whiners, as I figured there would be at least one:rolleyes:

I agree that latteralis are fairly predatory and care should be taken with where they are put. I threw a termite in for a C. elegans, a tiny latteralis come from out of no where and grabbed the termite and ran off with it before the spider even knew what was happening...

Bill