Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Black Widow vs Redback Spider

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by RedbackBreeder, Jan 28, 2014.

1. RedbackBreeder

RedbackBreeder Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hi people. I live in Sydney, Australia and where I live, we have our own version of the Black Widow - the Redback Spider.

I'm assuming that they are virtually identical, except the red dorsal marking which is only on the redbacks.

I have pet redbacks and I find that I can relate to information about the Black Widows, which is very nice :)

So here's my question:

Are there any other differences between these two? (e.g. size, venom potency, habits etc)

Can't seem to find any information on the internet.:cool:

2. The Snark

The Snark هرج و مرج مهندس Old Timer

I asked the natural history museum in Darwin this exact question. To the best of their knowledge the North American Latrodectus and the Hasselti are identical, several million years removed. More info on the definitive site: https://sites.google.com/site/widowman10/

PS one theory put forwards is Hasselti is the primordial ancestor of all modern day Latrodectus. No solid substantiated proof exists to prove or deny this but given the age of the Aus fauna and it's isolation, it is a workable hypothesis.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I watched this cool documentary about spiders.. I remember hearing about the two. They are basically the same disregarding the dorsal red back. But! They talked about how the red back has a slightly more potent venom (not much) and are generally more temperamental.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Snark

The Snark هرج و مرج مهندس Old Timer

Just to clarify something. The 'Red back' spider, L. Hasseltii, suffers from the 'deadliest most dangerous' stigma in Australia. It is even common to find them being sold encased in lucite as decorations like the gear shifter knobs for vehicles. The myths and fables about this spider abound. The fact is it's venom is about the same as L. Geometricus, ~.55 mg/kg and ~,45 mg/kg LD mice, respectively. They have been reported to be more active than North American species but much of the observations done have been with a significantly higher ambient temperature and all Latrodectus are highly temperature sensitive.

• Like Like x 3
  5. RedbackBreeder

RedbackBreeder Arachnopeon

Thank you for the replies everyone!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.