Black widow sling enclosure ventilation

Darkchrist31

Arachnosquire
Good day everyone! A newbie here.
My widow slings are coming in in the next couple of days and I think I'm almost ready with all his necessities.
However, the one thing that's still worrying me is the size of the ventilation holes.
I've attached my enclosure photos and hopefully can get some pointers whether it would work or not.
I've poked some holes on the lid, and will plan on covering the jar with nylon stockings everytime i close the jar.
My concern is whether there is enough air/ ventilation for the sling as it seems like even water can't pass through the nylon (maybe because of water adhesion? I'm not sure)
I don't want my sling to suffocate.
Jar.jpg Lid.jpg Nylon stockings.jpg
Hope to get some pointers on this!
Appreciate all your help!
Thank you in advance! ^_^

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is plenty fine, definitely overkill lol. I have kept and bred a plethora of Latrodectus sp., and I just housed slings in deli cups with a stick. No holes, substrate, etc. Most Latrodectus thrive on neglect.

Yours will do fine in that setup.

Just one note, however. There is a possibility (and probability) that they will web at the top of the enclosure, and it will probably mess up the webs unscrewing the lids combined with the stockings. My personal preference would be to just have the lids with no holes.

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
From what I’ve heard, Black widows don’t need much for ventilation. Some people don’t even have enclosures with holes. Just leaving the lid open for a minute every once and a while is enough. So the few vent holes you have are sufficient.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Good day everyone! A newbie here.
My widow slings are coming in in the next couple of days and I think I'm almost ready with all his necessities.
However, the one thing that's still worrying me is the size of the ventilation holes.
I've attached my enclosure photos and hopefully can get some pointers whether it would work or not.
I've poked some holes on the lid, and will plan on covering the jar with nylon stockings everytime i close the jar.
My concern is whether there is enough air/ ventilation for the sling as it seems like even water can't pass through the nylon (maybe because of water adhesion? I'm not sure)
I don't want my sling to suffocate.
View attachment 400072 View attachment 400073 View attachment 400074
Hope to get some pointers on this!
Appreciate all your help!
Thank you in advance! ^_^
I use lids with fabric for mine.
20210926_205950.jpg 20210926_205800.jpg 20210926_205730.jpg 20210926_205659.jpg

Darkchrist31

Arachnosquire
That is plenty fine, definitely overkill lol. I have kept and bred a plethora of Latrodectus sp., and I just housed slings in deli cups with a stick. No holes, substrate, etc. Most Latrodectus thrive on neglect.

Yours will do fine in that setup.

Just one note, however. There is a possibility (and probability) that they will web at the top of the enclosure, and it will probably mess up the webs unscrewing the lids combined with the stockings. My personal preference would be to just have the lids with no holes.
Thank you so much for the advice! I'm switching to a taller jar, and will place shorter sticks inside. ^_^

Darkchrist31

Arachnosquire
From what I’ve heard, Black widows don’t need much for ventilation. Some people don’t even have enclosures with holes. Just leaving the lid open for a minute every once and a while is enough. So the few vent holes you have are sufficient.
Yep, I've heard too but just wanted to be sure hehe, its my first time with black widows ^_^ Thank you for sharing!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Nice! How old is he/she? Looking good!
I am not sure how many molts that one has had but she hatched a couple of months ago.

I give them an environment that minimizes the chances they'll web the top. Taller containers with decorations and webbing anchor points on the lower half. Even with this plan they sometimes hit the top and I have to cut it away.
20210924_181049.jpg 20210924_193840.jpg

Last edited: