Black Widow Sack What To Do??

DrGigglez666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My L. hesperus popped out a sack this morning and i was wondering what i could do to make the sack hatch out little one?? I had some sacks but no one wanted them so i opened them and 2 were bad with hard eggs haha and one was good but they havent hatched i have about 100 some in a vial!! Any tips fans??

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I ususally just put them in a gallon clear jar (Wal-Mart) and let them hatch on their own. I raise mactans and have 14 sacs right now to deal withI use to cut them open while they were still eggs and raise the eggs in a hammok of moist paper towels but now I just leave them alone and let them canabalize until they are big enough to seperate, then I put them in their own containers. When I raised them hammok style and tried to seperate them all, I usually had many escapes. The little slings would go everywhere and it was impossible to control them! That's why I let them canabalize until they have some size on them now.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
...hatch out little one??
that's a cute way of putting it

...Any tips fans??
I don't know if I'm a fan... but a good way to make the sac more likely to hatch is to search the forums before posting, or at least say what you couldn't find by searching. Anyway,

humidity - put in water crystals or a damp paper towel, or spray occasionally, but don't get it wet
ventilation - don't want it to mold
chemicals? - don't put any crazy plastics or glue near the sac

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Actually, with L. hesperus I hear you don't need as much humidity. Keep ventilation to a minimum. You don't want them escaping. When I had slings, I didn't have any air holes, I just opened the lid 2-3 times a day.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Actually, with L. hesperus I hear you don't need as much humidity. Keep ventilation to a minimum. You don't want them escaping. When I had slings, I didn't have any air holes, I just opened the lid 2-3 times a day.
Yeah, they can be pretty dry, I was just suggesting a variable that -could- affect the hatching. Same with ventilation. You only need to worry about them escaping when you know the sac is going to hatch soon.

Also, isn't 2 or 3 times a day more than necessary?

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hesps are very hardy, but air is good. Use a pin and punch a bunch of airholes in the lid. If its very hot and dry, then stick the sling cup into another container and add another small cup of moist substrate and/or water crystals and keep the humidity up a bit. Though, being where you are, u probably wont have to worry about humidity.