Black widow enclosure

rusted180

Arachnosquire
Hey fellas.

Had a black widow for about a month now.. it's inside a medium sized deli cup with vent holes. i saw some pics of glass enclosures for this spider that was upside down. Now i understand why some keep it this way cuz ive had aboreal species of tarantula.
But.. my question is if its in a glass enclsure, how the heck does it breath? Some mentioned to poke holes on the lid, but if the lid is on the floor, then doesnt it block the ventilation it needs? Is there something i dont understand? Maybe it doesnt need as much air as t's?
Please someone enlighten me! Haha!
Thx guys!

Pepper

Arachnosquire
I have read that they do need less air, yes. Cant point to anything specific sorry

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
They don't need that much air, basically as long as you open the container to feed it every couple weeks it'll be fine. Even with the holes in the lids pointing down there should still be a little bit of air exchange.

LiseeLou

Arachnopeon
Mind if I jump in here to ask a similar question? I just caught a black widow (latrodectus Hesperus) from my kids room 😨. Earlier this summer I kept a jumping spider in a jar but let her go when her eggs hatched (it was SO FUN taking care of her and was a super fun surprise when she laid eggs and we got to see them hatch, talk about some cool science to show my 5 year old). Now I’ve found this gorgeous lady, but my husband is understandably nervous about keeping a more dangerous spider around, especially because of aforementioned 5 year old. What is the safest way to keep this kind of spider? I’m also at a loss for the enclosure situation. Right now she’s in a jar with a piece of netting fabric across the top held by a rubber band, but of course she sits right on the fabric, so feeding will be difficult (also, should I worry about her chewing through the fabric and escaping?). Or should I just release her? The internet mostly says “kill them, they’re dangerous, call an exterminator to eradicate them because there are probably more”. But I don’t like to kill beneficial animals. If I let her go outside though, she’ll probably either make her way back inside or die in the winter.
Sorry for the long post, just hoping for advice from fellow spider fans.

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
Yeah... I wouldn't kill them. Just "respect" them and don't try to hold or touch them and you'll be fine. I keep most of mine in AMAC enclosures with some twigs for them to make their home in. Very low maintenance and fun to watch when you feed them. :)

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Mind if I jump in here to ask a similar question? I just caught a black widow (latrodectus Hesperus) from my kids room 😨. Earlier this summer I kept a jumping spider in a jar but let her go when her eggs hatched (it was SO FUN taking care of her and was a super fun surprise when she laid eggs and we got to see them hatch, talk about some cool science to show my 5 year old). Now I’ve found this gorgeous lady, but my husband is understandably nervous about keeping a more dangerous spider around, especially because of aforementioned 5 year old. What is the safest way to keep this kind of spider? I’m also at a loss for the enclosure situation. Right now she’s in a jar with a piece of netting fabric across the top held by a rubber band, but of course she sits right on the fabric, so feeding will be difficult (also, should I worry about her chewing through the fabric and escaping?). Or should I just release her? The internet mostly says “kill them, they’re dangerous, call an exterminator to eradicate them because there are probably more”. But I don’t like to kill beneficial animals. If I let her go outside though, she’ll probably either make her way back inside or die in the winter.
Sorry for the long post, just hoping for advice from fellow spider fans.
Place a couple things in the jar for her to web to then flip it over. She'll eventually build toward the "top" and it'll be easier to feed. Even if you leave the jar as is, she won't be able to chew through the fabric. Outside of the web, widows are very clumsy and slow, which is why as they get older they try their hardest to never have to move again (minus mature males, but they're harmless). They're completely non-aggressive and really this is probably a good chance to teach your 5 year old how to properly ID them and respect something people consider dangerous without killing it. The internet is the internet, major kudos for you coming here to ask your questions and get more info! Also, welcome to the forum!

LiseeLou

Arachnopeon
If widows never leave their webs, how do you water them? I don’t think she could travel down to a dish, but I don’t want to mist right onto her web 😕