Black Velvet

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just purchased an Asian species of tarantula by the common name of "Black Velvet"? Absolutely spontaneous. Saw it was only $18.99

I put it in a ten gallon aquarium with six inches of substrate, put a zoo-med heat mat on the backside, a waterdish, hideaway, etc.

My dilemna, I have just gotten back into the invert hobby and the Asian theraphosids frequently have changed classifications or been misidentified or share similar common names.

What species do I have, it is mainly dark, slightest presense of knee stripes barely distinguishable, a brindled abdomen (tiger striped), and black velvetly carapace.

When I brought it home, I readied for battle, cause I know these babies are lightning fast (and it was) and can scale glass and plastic surfaces. but the battle never came, the spider was calm but a coldly calculating calm if you know what I mean. Didn't have any trouble except when the T instantly went from super cool to 60 and teleported right before my eyes to another corner so quickly it sorta startled me and I had a difficult time making out the spider's shape against the dark substrate.

But the spider is frickn awesome even though it is probably quite common and not the prettiest Asian around for sure.

Now for my question, what species do I have?

Much appreciated!

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just read albob's thread and his spider looks similar to mine, though not entirely. But the same basic dark, lean, and chevrons.

I am definitely open to suggestions though.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The striping is only on the pantella from what I can see. The spider is in one of the upper corners of the aquarium and instantly reared back and exposed it's fangs at me while I was looming down on it and messing with the screen.

MAN, I LOVE THAT KINDA 'TUDE! BAD SPIDER! WHAT A THRILL!

EDIT: Don't have a camera at the moment.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Actually I might have used a misleading description in saying brindled. Mine has chevrons with abdomen lighter. But looks very similar to the H. longipes or H. minax.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
*bump*

I am now 99.999% sure I have a Haplopelma longipes.

Formerly that most dreadful Cyriopagopus sp.

Awesome pet.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
awsome pet...AND...a good deal for 20 bucks!!! way to go!
Thank you! :D

One of the biggest bargains I've struck in the hobby and one of the sickest Ts in the world.

Curious, for anyone, weren't H. longipes previously incorrectly offered as Cyriopagopus paganus?