Black speckles on abdomen

Justamarshmallow

Arachnopeon
Hello all. I'm new to the hobby, (I've had T's for 5 months), and my newest baby, a Curly Hair about the size of my finger nail, decided to climb up the side of her (I call them all female until sexed) cage and then she purposely jumped down. She landed on her feet and seems fine, but I now notice some little black speckles on her abdomen. Is it possible that she got hurt or should I not be concerned? I apologize if this is an obvious question, I could not find anything by searching online or in my books. Thank you for reading and for any information.

Screen Shot 2016-10-28 at 5.58.27 PM.png

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
Looks like it could poss. be whats left of its hairs. hard to tell because the picture is small. Could it poss be some of the substrate? Try using a paint brush to maybe brush it off. Other than that I would say you need a clearer picture.

dopamine

Arachnobaron
I wouldn't worry about her. The stuff you need to watch for is more opaque/clear. That's their hemoglobin (blood). Those specs could be anything. Maybe bits of dirt?

Justamarshmallow

Arachnopeon
Looks like it could poss. be whats left of its hairs. hard to tell because the picture is small. Could it poss be some of the substrate? Try using a paint brush to maybe brush it off. Other than that I would say you need a clearer picture.
I'm sorry the picture is small. I zoomed in max she's just such a speck. a cute speck but a small one nonetheless.

I tried the paint brush and she bit it. I hope that's not a prelude to her adult behavior. I heard Curly Hairs were quite mild.

Although her sphagnum moss has some dirt in it and she likes to burrow in it so its very possible. Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

Any thoughts on the aggression? It was a very soft human hair brush and I barely touched her with it. Maybe she was startled.

Justamarshmallow

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't worry about her. The stuff you need to watch for is more opaque/clear. That's their hemoglobin (blood). Those specs could be anything. Maybe bits of dirt?
Thank you! It is most likely dirt since her substrate is sphagnum moss.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
I'm sorry the picture is small. I zoomed in max she's just such a speck. a cute speck but a small one nonetheless.

I tried the paint brush and she bit it. I hope that's not a prelude to her adult behavior. I heard Curly Hairs were quite mild.

Although her sphagnum moss has some dirt in it and she likes to burrow in it so its very possible. Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

Any thoughts on the aggression? It was a very soft human hair brush and I barely touched her with it. Maybe she was startled.
Well, let's say it's a nice, quiet day and you're relaxing in your living room. Suddenly, your roof is lifted off of your house and a giant is looking down at you, and then he starts touching you with some unidentifiable object. How would YOU react to that? ;)

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer

I have a Curly Hair that I've raised from a sling. She was my very first T and is now a lovely mature lady of maybe 7 or 8. She is also one of the few T's I've named. Her name is Surly Temple - for good reason. She was very mild-tempered and amenable to occasional handling (a couple of times a year) when she was younger, but as she's matured she's gotten downright cranky (except for the days when she's a sweetheart again). Despite "usual temperaments" for any given species, each spider is going to have her own personality - and may also be subject to mood swings. It could be she was startled by the brush - or maybe she just didn't want to be bothered. It's also possible that she was hungry and mistook the brush for prey.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Not all Albo's are oblivious, brachy's are a crapshoot genus for disposition, some nice, some not. Good luck.

"Barely touched it">>> Do you know what it feels like to be a tarantula and touched? Don't assume your level of pressure applied is so small, CLEARLY it wasn't.

Justamarshmallow

Arachnopeon
Not all Albo's are oblivious, brachy's are a crapshoot genus for disposition, some nice, some not. Good luck.

"Barely touched it">>> Do you know what it feels like to be a tarantula and touched? Don't assume your level of pressure applied is so small, CLEARLY it wasn't.
Why is nearly everyone on this forum so self righteous. I don't even want to come here anymore since the replies I get either imply I'm an idiot or accuse me of being some abusive monster to my spider.

This is not the only reply I've gotten like this. Enough is enough.

You all need to get a life. Mine will be spent not on these forums.

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
@Justamarshmallow there are plenty of nice people on these fourms. But one things that's very hard to do is to read someone's tone in writing. Sometimes things can go overboard but they do so on FB and any other social site in the world. I used to think everyone was writing to me in a bad manner but then I realized it was me having a hard time taking in helpful information. I think you should stay and read what people say in a manner that they we love our hobby very very much, not that we are trying to bash anyone new that's come here for help. :) hope you make the best choice.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Why is nearly everyone on this forum so self righteous. I don't even want to come here anymore since the replies I get either imply I'm an idiot or accuse me of being some abusive monster to my spider.

This is not the only reply I've gotten like this. Enough is enough.

You all need to get a life. Mine will be spent not on these forums.
Let's be clear, I never implied nor accused you of being an idiot/abusive monster.

I can't speak for everyone, I can only speak for my own answers to your specific replies. If you have a specific question about the words, meaning or tone of my responses, just ask, don't assume. What @Tfisher wrote is 100% accurate.

I have better things to do w/my life than to type on a computer trying to help someone I don't even know.

As you singled out my reply, I will explain below for you.

To succinctly explain my reply you quoted:

1. My comment about Brachy's is factual, I've been saying that on/off for quite a while now.

2. My comment/question about your physical perception of touch vs a T's is factual as well. I'd almost guarantee they are more sensitive to touch than a human. Touch is their primary means of sensing their world. What feels gentle to us likely feels much stronger to them.

Good luck!

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
The hell happened in here? o_O OP asked for help, got it, and then shot back generalizing "nearly everyone" on this forum.

Deuces, friend. Hopefully you learn to stop putting your own tone on people's reply on a text-only forum.